There are newer employer reviews for Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A.

Politics, Religion and Family/Community Connections Reign Over This Foundation

I worked at Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great place for recent college graduates to get a year or two experience in international development. In some departments you are able to learn a lot/gain new skills depending on how you manage the "dicey political waters" at the Foundation. At times it is a fun, engaging, demanding work environment and you get to go home knowing you are working for a great cause.

Cons

During my time at the Foundation I saw some employees leave bitter and resentful. If you take a job - try to keep a distance from the politics that run rampant here but also develop positive relations with managers and co-workers. Never forget that how your direct line manager (and upper management) views your work/person will dramatically effect your salary increases and promotions. Also, if you want to do well here turn a blind eye to the family/community connections that seem to permeate throughout the entire Aga Khan Development Network. Lastly, expect to see quick turnovers, a lack of transparency and some eye rolling moments.

There are organizations that solely focus on helping international development organizations improve performance and achieve business results. Put aside the time and money that will be needed to actually obtain results.

6 Other Employee Reviews for Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. (View Most Recent)

Field staff are very passionate and hard-working, senior management can be tricky.

I worked at Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. full-time

Pros

Dedicated staff in the country office.

Cons

Senior management at the country office can be bad and there are no checks and balances to keep them in line.

Rewarding Volunteer Work

Former Employee - Schools Outreach Lead  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Schools Outreach Lead in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. part-time for more than a year

Pros

The work that I got to do with this organization was very rewarding. They raise money to end global poverty. I was part of the schools outreach team. The schools initiative was in its' second year at the time. It was challenging to establish a name for the schools outreach team among the local community but I enjoyed the challenge. I had immense support from my team. By the end of my term we not only reach but surpassed our goal of having 20 schools as an active part of the initiative.

Cons

Depending on your role the responsibilities can become a bit overwhelming at times. I had a regional role so that meant a lot had to be done in a somewhat short amount of time. Although, if you are passionate about ending global poverty then the lack of sleep/social life/work-personal life balance won't phase you.

There are newer employer reviews for Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A.

Worked for Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A.? Contribute to the Community!