There are newer employer reviews for Agate Software

Exceptional

Current Employee - Programmer in Okemos, MI
Current Employee - Programmer in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Agate Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at this company for over 5 years and have been given opportunities that other companies can't provide. I'm able to make a difference and contribute to the company's success. I get to directly interact with clients and help them achieve their goals. I'm not just a face in the crowd. Work ethic is highly valued! People who legitimately try, see first hand what impact they have. I also get to help solve problems instead of handing them off to someone else and have them take all the credit.

Cons

Like all work places you get coworkers that complain. The bad ones try to bring the rest of us down with their selfish agendas. But when you pay attention to what they say and their motivation behind it, they really just care about themselves and not the company as a whole. Their just not good team players.

Thanks for all the extras that you do, it makes this a fun place to work. Also, it helps us know you appreciate what we do.

8 Other Employee Reviews for Agate Software (View Most Recent)

Good for experience, but move on once you've got it

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Okemos, MI

I worked at Agate Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you need to bone up on SQL, this is a good place to spend a year or so. The application is SQL heavy in configuration, but there are few good developers, so you'll have plenty of opportunity to bug-fix stored procedures and business objects, or just write them yourself if you want them done on time and right. Also good for learning some project/time management skills, since you'll be loaded down with work and expected to just handle it. There are definitely good people working here, figure out who they are and get on their team/assign them work orders. If you can self-manage you'll do good here, but the workload just piles on so keep home-work balance healthy, you're not going to get anything for that extra 10-15 hours a week.

Cons

There's little support from management, even if you bring issues to them and they promise to resolve them. Really low pay considering the hours expected. Complete lack of development and project management methodology. They will talk about internal development and documenting processes, but won't give you the time do it, since it's non-billable. They bill clients for bug-fixes, which just seems under-handed to me, since it's a deficiency in quoted work. If they want to promote you they'll add new responsibilities to see "if you can handle them" before they give the promotion and small raise that accompanies the new responsibilities, this can go on for over a year without the actual promotion. Some new employees were kept on probation for over a year with no benefits or PTO.

Realize your employees are an investment, other companies in the area actually look for Agate on a resume because they know you paid to train them and give them lots of experience, but aren't paying them what they're worth with that experience and training. Every job offer I got paid 20-30% more, and I almost doubled my salary within a year once I worked for a company who actually recognized the time, skills, and dedication of their employees.

Agate Software Response

Oct 16, 2014Human Resources Manager

Agate's mission is to provide industry leading products, on time, with exceptional customer service and first time quality. There are times where we fall short on quality, but we do not charge our ... More

This place is a joke.

Current Employee - Configuration Specialist in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Configuration Specialist in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Agate Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for a technical job, Agate Software is a pretty easy place to get into. They also bring in food for us from time to time. Every company does that these days, but it's something right?

Cons

Fresh out of college, I accepted an entry level position as a "Configuration Specialist" with the simple goal of attaining some beginners experience. Frankly, there isn't much to be gained here. Unless you're a programmer, they unload junk-work onto you. And even the programmers aren't respected or paid well enough. Also, the solo five star review for this company dating October 18, 2012 is planted by one of the higher ups. I even watched him do it, and he isn't who I'd call a "Programmer."

The management isn't just overly strict. They are down-right disrespectful. I'd recommend some attitude adjustments, or you'll be needing to plant a few more phony reviews.

Agate Software Response

Oct 16, 2014Human Resources Manager

It is unfortunate that this particular team member feels this way, that Agate Software is "a joke". I suppose you can't make everyone happy. We have over 50 team members total, in two different ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Agate Software