There are newer employer reviews for Agilent Technologies

Agilent: A company with many good employees

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies

Pros

Place to develop good technologies. Nice work-life balance. Very nice and hard working coworkers. Good benefits.

Cons

Agilent is not giving pay raises. People are not confident about the upper management.

Advice to Management

Need to reward the employees more, instead of stock buyback etc. They are a lot of very talented employees who often feel they are not valued. Salary is generally lower that what people expect.

reviews filtered by

Great stable company to work for, not meant for drivers.

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies

Pros

A ton of great people, knowledge, and resources. Newer talent has a virtually unlimited access to senior resources. As with most big companies, there are multiple roles you can play.

Cons

Pay for new hires is now where near what other bay area companies are paying. Career advancement is limited for younger talent.

Advice to Management

Either hire experienced hires that you do not need to train or make an attempt to retain the younger talent you are grooming. Otherwise, you will spend 2-3 years training your new hires only to have them leave for more competitive pay - salary wise.

A good place for benefits, a bad place for ranking.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Agilent Technologies

Pros

Agilent has a good work-life balance. Flexible working time is a major plus. Agilent allows each employee to pursue their individual interest; lateral moves are accommodated with little reistance. Benifits at Agilent are great. Agilent offers a hefty bonus every six months based on company profits. Agilent allows paid time for community volunteering each month. Agilent also offers a 4% match on 401k contributions instead of the standard 3%. As a plus for young employees, agilent has an unlimited source of senior engineers to work with and learn from.

Cons

Agilent's ranking system is vastly outdated. Managers force fit a bell curve of performace each year dispite how the individual employees perform. Politics are strong in the ranking process which force managers to rank the senior engineers over the newer ones, even though a lot of senior engineers have gotten comfortable and are no longer contributing at a high level. In general Agilent has too many managers. When layoffs come around engineers are laid-off and the managment expands. Most of Agilents workforce is composed of "senior" engineers that are near retirement, the mix of new employees is not there. This doesn't allow vertical advancement because these postions are already taken and the forced bell curve doesn't allow any additional positions.

Advice to Management

Senior managment is way out of touch with "the worker bees." Middle managment needs to be able to understand the problems each project team is having. This message needs to be correctly translated up the chain. The message gets lost and distorted among all the non-technical managers.
    Managment really does have this "you should be happy to work here" attitude. While all of us are happy to have a job right now, this is an annoying perspective, probably more so to the new employees who never knew "the hp way." We are constantly getting talks about how we are above-standard employees and managment expects above-standard performance, but we are treated as standard to sub-standard employees. Pay and benefits are not what they used to be, our salaries are below even some of our major competitors. Just because you tell us ithis is a great place doesn't mean we believe you. You run a company of engineers, not buiness majors. We are higly educated and we see through that. Our benefits are good, but even they are dwindling away year by year.

There are newer employer reviews for Agilent Technologies