Not the Best and Not the Worse

Former Employee - Leasing Administrator in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Leasing Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- As far as industry standards go, salary is above average - Luxury Properties, usually in very good markets - Leasing is easy - A good manager makes all the difference - Sales Training is Superior - You learn so much very quickly

Cons

- Shark Tank!! -Commission structure changes by the minute. - The pressure is on and they bigwigs in Denver will come down on you like ton of bricks. I overheard one top executive call a table of community manager’s “incompetent peons” - It's a popularity contest; Promotions are not based on your work ethic –if you’ve made friends with the right person expect to go from Leasing to Manager in a flash. -Human Resources! The biggest joke of the company. Benefits are horrible. Many people on the maintenance staff were on Medi-Cal. If you ever have an issue with a co-worker, you’re better off keeping it to yourself because HR will put it on a t-shirt. Confidentiality, not even a little bit

Advice to Management

Offer a better benefit package to your employees. Give bonuses to the people that deserve them for their hard work and continuous effort.

Other Employee Reviews for Aimco Apartment Homes

1. Overall not a bad place to work.

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At the time compensation and bonus was great.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of a con.

Advice to Management

All were great to work with.

Disorganized and extremely frustrating.

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The base salary plus commission was nice, and the specific training for Other Centered Selling they gave was very helpful. Other than that, I don't really have a lot of nice things to say about this company or position.

Cons

Employee turnover was about 6 months. This was at several levels of the company, both at my individual property and the regional office. Everything was disorganized, and policies for how to respond to residents' issues frequently changed. This led to a lot of anger on the resident side, because the person that rented the unit to them would be completely different than the person going through their move-out process with them. Paperwork was a mess to get through, and was never completed properly. I was paid hourly, but had overtime every week I worked there because there was just never enough time to get through things. The property was severely understaffed, and employees frequently quitting or getting fired meant others had to pick up the slack in areas they might not be familiar with. I will never work there again.

Advice to Management

Be consistent. Don't change policies frequently. Realize that these are people that you're dealing with, not numbers, and your product is their home.