Airbnb

There are newer employer reviews for Airbnb

Enjoyable, but deeply political

Former Employee - Private
Former Employee - Private

I worked at Airbnb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the best and most talented people I have ever worked with. The connections I made there will help me for the rest of my career, and I believe I made friends for life.
The opportunity and experience I was offered to make a genuine contribution was far greater than I imagined when I accepted the position, and I really felt I made a difference to the company's direction.
Fast-moving - although if you had been there for as long as myself (around 2 years), you could see the slow-down.

Cons

Hugely political. If you're friendly with the right people, regardless of how useless you are, or how well-known that fact is, you will be protected and rewarded disproportionately. I honestly felt like the harder you worked, the further you dropped in the pecking order.
The startup vibe is completely dead. Airbnb is now a corporation.
There is no such thing as a flat hierarchy anymore, whatever that was supposed to mean in the first place.
None of the advertised perks are available to anyone outside of San Francisco
Despite being a "people" company, many decisions have recently been made for completely the wrong reasons - and they're just plain stupid to the average bystander.
It was very difficult to ever have full faith in the senior management team - in typical startup style, this was made up of mainly of 20-somethings with only a year or two of work-experience.
In the past year, I noticed the average quality of new hires dropping significantly - to the point where several "IT specialists" were unable to understand BASIC IT principles.
The "Culture" of Airbnb is regulary trampled all over by the senior management.

Treat the good people you already have properly, and stop hiring idiots.

98 Other Employee Reviews for Airbnb (View Most Recent)

Started out good but now out of hand

I worked at Airbnb as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

the idea behind airbnb is good

Cons

when started was friendly and open, now its gotten so big that those at the top have no connection with their employees, if you have a problem its now passed on to customer service and you receive a generic answer. middle management manage by threats and I doubt those at the top have a clue whats happening. I had to walk away, Nobody asked why, not even an acknowledgement that my contract was ended.

check out whats actually going on, your management is telling you what you want to hear

it's good to working an energetic company! there is an also a big risk in working btn the laws

I worked at Airbnb

Pros

friendly n supportive culture! nice people

Cons

just don't work in the China

There are newer employer reviews for Airbnb