Pretty good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, lots of opportunity, still a small company. It's great being a part of such an exciting company. Every day is an adventure, and it's like nothing I've ever experienced.

Cons

The food is not very good. It's usually cold, and the vegetarian options aren't great. The foods better than Google, but not as good as Twitter.

Being at such a young, immature company means the benefits are young and immature. The salary is okay, but I still took a 40% pay cut to join this company. Hopefully the stock options will be worth something some day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Hire some kitchen staff that can make real food, though.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Exceptional team, incredible product. Proud to work here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team Camaraderie: It's a really supportive environment, both within my particular team and at large. I feel a genuine sense that people want me to succeed and in turn I love when others have victories. It's a very ego-less group here, and we all root for each other. I definitely feel like my coworkers make me work harder, but in a really healthy (read: not cutthroat) way.
    Energy, Creativity and Quirkiness: It's a very design-centric company (probably most largely influenced by our founders, who come from RISD), and we value aesthetics, quirkiness, and a light-hearted sense of humor. We laugh a lot, but still maintain a serious work ethic and professionalism; I think we're really lucky in that sense.
    Love of Product: Airbnb really doesn't hire people unless they are passionate about the product, its implications and its future. You can be off the charts in terms of brains, experience and technical skills, but if you come off as blase about what we do, you won't get hired. I think that really distinguishes us from other companies and ensures that we're all invested in the company's future, not just financially.

Cons

It's an extremely scrappy, lean place. If you like adventures, daily challenges and a constantly-changing environment, you'll love it here and excel. If you prefer knowing what to anticipate on a day to day basis, this probably isn't the place for you. What I've loved is that we're always looking to improve, or make our processes more efficient, and to grow personally, but that can be exhausting for some.
    Also, we're admittedly a quirky bunch, so to excel here you need to have a sense of humor, and

Advice to Management

Scaling is always a challenge for rapid-growth companies. One of the cool things is that our founders and upper management feel strongly about being involved in a lot of our day to day decision making, including hiring. My only concern is being able to maintain that pulse on our operations as we continue to grow, and I'd just encourage our founders to have faith in the fact that they've built an incredible team that is trustworthy and can be their eyes and ears when they can't be involved in the minutiae.

Reactive, Contrived and Chaotic

I worked at Airbnb

Pros

The product is innovative.

Opportunity to advance if you are based in San Francisco.

I hear health benefits for some USA staff are good.

Cons

Internal re-branding does not fix issues of morale and results in organisational chaos. No one knows who does what and reports to who anymore except a few key people in upper management.

Broken tools for users and employees which are never to be fixed in favor of new tools that break quickly never to be fixed...

Everything is ego driven. This is not pleasing to the court.

Every major issue is reacted to. Reaction in business is a symptom of management that does not listen to employees who see a larger problem looming.

Processes are are over thought and contrived.

Think of ways to reward employees who work with upset and angry users daily. A reward certificate is just a piece of paper.

Employees who are difficult to work with are promoted then become even more difficult to work with.

Benefits for employees hired in 2011 (post-EJ scandal) are being stripped away.
    If you don't want the remaining remote staff, take the steps to do the right thing and offer severance and any other transition assistance possible. They need their jobs because job markets are bad, so they're not quitting without even a small safety net no matter how much pressure you place upon them to quit. Offer time for long time employees to properly train new employees, that I understand you've moved from an almost defunct department to newly re-branded and further broken out departments.

Paying new, HQ based, bottom tier employees more than long-time bottom level employees who are at advanced levels and who also live high COL cities is an insult.

"Make their lives easier, not harder." Extend this to your own, hard working employees. Telling them to do it themselves is not only insulting but telling of true core values at play.

The creedos are not extended to employees. Employees are also hosts and guests. Staff knows exactly what it means when upper management says "you'll be taken care of" and those words are feared.

Advice to Management

Be honest: Take the internal survey results to heart. Don't twist the words of employees who see the chaos and very low morale. Don't twist the words of your employees with PR tactics.

Simplify. Not every process needs to be examined by 10 people.

Be proactive. Hear the issue then take care of the problem before the issue escalates.

Don't ask people to uproot their entire lives for a job that is compensated below managerial compensation.