Airbnb

There are newer employer reviews for Airbnb

Pretty good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, lots of opportunity, still a small company. It's great being a part of such an exciting company. Every day is an adventure, and it's like nothing I've ever experienced.

Cons

The food is not very good. It's usually cold, and the vegetarian options aren't great. The foods better than Google, but not as good as Twitter.

Being at such a young, immature company means the benefits are young and immature. The salary is okay, but I still took a 40% pay cut to join this company. Hopefully the stock options will be worth something some day.

Keep up the good work! Hire some kitchen staff that can make real food, though.

121 Other Employee Reviews for Airbnb (View Most Recent)

Airbnb does not understand the REAL value of the freelance Photogrpahers.

Current Employee - Photographer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Photographer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to shoot.

Cons

The Company is making a mint. Their profits can be directly connected to the beautiful Photography of the pro shooters. The value Airbnb puts on that Photography is a pittance. They have contributed to crushing the value of great imagery. $ 50/shoot started with them.
    In addition, the Photographers are most often the ONLY point person the host meets. The Photographers must represent the Brand professionally, and are not paid to do so.

Pay a proper rate for the value of the imagery. One idea would be to tie the gross income of a hosts listing to the expert photographer who shot it. By creating great images, the value of the listing grows. The Photographer would be paid a fair residual, based upon the success of the host. This would then off the Photographer an real incentive to shoot well, and Airbnb would pay a fair wage. $ 50/ shoot is NOT fair.

Exceptional team, incredible product. Proud to work here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Team Camaraderie: It's a really supportive environment, both within my particular team and at large. I feel a genuine sense that people want me to succeed and in turn I love when others have victories. It's a very ego-less group here, and we all root for each other. I definitely feel like my coworkers make me work harder, but in a really healthy (read: not cutthroat) way.
    Energy, Creativity and Quirkiness: It's a very design-centric company (probably most largely influenced by our founders, who come from RISD), and we value aesthetics, quirkiness, and a light-hearted sense of humor. We laugh a lot, but still maintain a serious work ethic and professionalism; I think we're really lucky in that sense.
    Love of Product: Airbnb really doesn't hire people unless they are passionate about the product, its implications and its future. You can be off the charts in terms of brains, experience and technical skills, but if you come off as blase about what we do, you won't get hired. I think that really distinguishes us from other companies and ensures that we're all invested in the company's future, not just financially.

Cons

It's an extremely scrappy, lean place. If you like adventures, daily challenges and a constantly-changing environment, you'll love it here and excel. If you prefer knowing what to anticipate on a day to day basis, this probably isn't the place for you. What I've loved is that we're always looking to improve, or make our processes more efficient, and to grow personally, but that can be exhausting for some.
    Also, we're admittedly a quirky bunch, so to excel here you need to have a sense of humor, and

Scaling is always a challenge for rapid-growth companies. One of the cool things is that our founders and upper management feel strongly about being involved in a lot of our day to day decision making, including hiring. My only concern is being able to maintain that pulse on our operations as we continue to grow, and I'd just encourage our founders to have faith in the fact that they've built an incredible team that is trustworthy and can be their eyes and ears when they can't be involved in the minutiae.

There are newer employer reviews for Airbnb