Airbus Group

www.airbus-group.com
There are newer employer reviews for Airbus Group

Great 12 months, perfect work life balance!

Former Employee - Metallics Technology Engineer in Bristol, England (UK)
Former Employee - Metallics Technology Engineer in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Airbus Group as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great positive working environment
Given real responsibilities
Feel like you are generally contributing towards the company
Interesting projects to work on
Great city to live in and go out in
Opportunities to travel

Cons

There weren't any Cons to be honest the only thing I can think of is the 12 months went by to quickly

Keep doing what you're doing

257 Other Employee Reviews for Airbus Group (View Most Recent)

Good

Former Employee - Fuel Systems Engineer in Filton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Fuel Systems Engineer in Filton, England (UK)

I worked at Airbus Group as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Get the opportunity to work on large exciting projects opportunities are there to travel abroad
    Flexible working times with flexitime giving a good work life balance

Cons

Can lack support with people more interested in their own work rather than helping a new start.
    Life cycles are large rarely able to see through an entire project

Slow and Inefficient - Continually Hampered by Process Diktats

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Airbus Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly and helpful colleagues.
    Interesting technology and end product (even though it really isn't rocket science).
    Flexitime and ability to work paid overtime.

Cons

Low salaries for engineering staff - even contractors are poorly paid.
    Odd culture - an awkward mix of Franco-German-British (ie. Marconi-esque for those that remember) management styles and culture.
    Frustrating place to work - Every aspect of this business is process driven, inefficient and seems to take forever. Yes, you've guessed it, the gullible management have let the consultants in to sell them a series of overpriced 'projects' delivered by 'expert consultants' with little knowledge about how the business actually works. 'Lean' is the latest buzzword - great when you're making cheap mass-produced widgets/cars (eg. Toyota) but is it really applicable to essentially a low-volume bespoke product? The very processes that management use to improve efficiency are the very processes that hamper efficiency when real people try to implement them. Extremely frustrating. I found myself spending 25% of my time on paper chases, trying to get various bits of paper signed by managers and QA staff that knew very little about what they are actually signing. Inevitably when project timescales slip, the engineers and technicians then get blamed for not doing the job quickly enough!
    Lack of career opportunity - little real career development. Yes, they love to bestow inflated job titles such as 'Higher Senior Engineer' to make people feel good about their plight, but in reality this just means a marginal increase in salary and no paid overtime as you try to climb higher. In the end, I left to work for one of Astrium's customers - 60% instant increase in pay and now with real scope to develop my career.

Answers to all of the challenges within this business lie with the employees and not overpaid management consultants. Empower your highly experienced and committed employees to find optimum solutions. Encourage people to better communicate across departments. Spend more money on training and development. I worked there for 6 years and was never allowed to attend any technical courses despite lots of HR training and development guff.

There are newer employer reviews for Airbus Group