Profesional frustration.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Department Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Airgas

Pros

Steady pay check. Decent benifits. Turkey for thanks giving and a ham for new years. Unifors and ppe are suplied.

Cons

If you are looking for ill managed company you want to take upon yourself to try to change with a glass celing and a high amount of frustration to take home you are there.

Advice to Management

No point the managment is the problem the are old set in there ways and will not here anything about new and or more eficient ways of doing buisness. I also belevie there major problem is all decision making is done out of Canada yet all the problems are stateside.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Overall, a good place to work. Some positions/advancements are only available to members of the "Clique".

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Airgas

Pros

Good work environment. People I work with take pride in their work, and doing a good job for the customers. Good work will be noticed by upper management, but they won't always acknowledge your good work unless 'pushed to' by others. Able to try new ideas for getting the job done better, and, as long as you've run it through the chain of command first, will get backing and recognition for a job well done when it works. The new SAP based computer system will bring customer service into the 21st Century.

Cons

Too many "layers" of management. Too many people allowed to perfom at a sub-standard level because they are "buddies" with an AVP or ABOC. Some are treated like royalty because they scored some big customer or big project long ago; when asked to do their job now, they try to pawn it off on others to do their bidding, and if you don't do it soon enough, they whine to middle management.

Advice to Management

Get out of Radnor, and come see us in the trenches. We are the ones making/keeping this company strong. Do not limit pay raises to crumbs, give people what their worth if you want to keep the good people. Trim some of the inefficient dead weight from middle management. You have too many layers of too many people performing the same tasks. You have us generate reports, to have people read them to generate more reports that go no where but in a filing cabinet to be looked at months after they would have done any good. LISTEN to the people,the drivers, that go see YOUR/OUR customers. You say they are the "face of Airgas" that the customers see, but management does not listen to them because they are just truck drivers (a dime a dozen group, who can do nothing but drive a truck).

More often than not it's frustrating to work at Airgas, very little support.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Airgas

Pros

Great Insurance, and you meet some of the greatest people (customers).

Cons

Middle Management gives no support or recognition to employee's that do a great job. Maybe if they would, it may result in more sales and margin for Airgas. I walk out of a sales meeting feeling depressed other then pump up to sell. Luckily I have been sales for over 20 years. I have seen good sales managers and bad ones, I've seen more bad ones with Airgas.

Advice to Management

1. Train current managers to support employees not belittle them in front of other employees/customers. 2. Supply Account Managers with sales tools such as Laptops installed with vendors catalogs, wifi, contact information, sales documents such as credit apps, cylinder audit forms, quotes forms etc. . To do any work at all you need to leave the customer, drive to the office, hope the computers are up and running and god forgive if you need assistance from a Branch Manager on a vendor code, you and your customer may be waiting for a long time. It would be a benefit to the company and the customer if we had more access on site. 3. Need more training on SAP for Account Managers, three days just didn't cut it. All I learned was how to do a quote. The instructors we had were hard to follow. 4. Distribution, for being one of the largest Safety supplies in the United States why does it take so long to get product? for instance if you want five widgets you may or may not know you need to order 10 widgets, so the order sets in limbo, until customer/myself ask Branch Manager to look into this. Then you get a comment like this "I forgot to tell you last week the purchasing person said you needed to order 10 so since we didn't need 10 I told him to cancel the order". YEAH. Know who's the one that has to explain the problem to the customer? It's not management, it's the sales guy. There are many other examples I am just stopping at one.