Good Company

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Airgas full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive salaries, promote from within

Cons

Nonexistent maternity/paternity leave program - serious problem for female employees

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Women, beware - this is a "good 'ol boy's club" company

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Airgas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people in the branches (non-management), variety of product offerings, high stock price and tuition assistance program.

Cons

For a professional woman, this company can be as difficult to work for as it gets. I came into the company as a salesperson with a bachelor's in business and 10 years of previous industry experience. Five years later, with an advanced degree that the company paid for, numerous successful and very lucrative projects, record sales growth, successful teamwork and proven dedication to see projects to completion, I find myself passed over for promotion by men with less industry experience, NO college background, but with a history of knowing the upper management. Was encouraged to explore the leadership training offered by the company and did so (met with HR to express my interest, followed up on it on three separate occasions and was told that I would be given the first available opportunity once the program was kicked off in our region), only to be asked to provide feedback on three men (2 of which have no degree) who were recently enrolled in the leadership training program (can you say, "Slap in the face?"). Oh sure, you'll get a "thank you," for a job well-done, but your pay will remain light-years behind the men - even the men with less experience and no education... The current trend of the company to listen to a consultant is causing customers to leave in droves due to MASSIVE price increases (with no cost increase justification) and increasing inflexibility on customer service issues. The history of this company has been proudly entrepreneurial, which was a big reason I came here - and a big reason behind its success. With Peter handing the reins over to Molinini, that's all being thrown to the wayside.

Advice to Management

Just STOP for a second and take a good, hard, HONEST look at what you're doing to this company! Mike - make random visits (unannounced for once so you don't get the "spit shine version") and actually TALK to the people who are doing the real work for this company. Sure, listen to those whom you've promoted to president, but don't forget about the salespeople who slog it out, daily, to try and keep this company on top. Stop with the almighty obsession of Wall Street and return to the company's roots of being customer and associate-centric. Walk the damned walk. Look at the number of amazingly talented women that are being passed over and break up the "Good 'ol Boy's" club. One female regional president (token?) just doesn't cut it for this Fortune 500 company.

2. Over five years Experience and seasoned salesman.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Merced, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Merced, CA

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The national account's sales team does a good job getting business nation wide.

Cons

Communication is vital to the sales team, Management needs to communicate closer to there sales force.

Advice to Management

Communicate closer to the sales force.