Long Journey

Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, Wages, Schedule Flexibility, Career Advancement, Training

Cons

SAP, staff reductions, wage freezes, no clear visibility on reporting

Advice to Management

Please listen to your front line employees

reviews filtered by

It Sounds Good at First, But....

Current Employee - Inside Sales/Relief Driver
    Current Employee - Inside Sales/Relief Driver

I have been working at Airgas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-Workers in the trenches are great people, who want to do it right. Decent time off policy. Decent benefits.

Cons

If you're not part of the 'good-old-boy- network and a 'yes man' to management, forget about ANY chance for advancement.
    A LOT of redundancy and bureaucracy in the management strata. Positions are created and given to those that follow the party line and don't make waves or ask questions.
    District managers are bullies who only want yes men and not problem solvers.
    NEVER question them or you're on the Permanent-Bad-Boy,-Keep-Him-Around-Because-He-Can-Do-Every-Job-There List.

Advice to Management

Go through the middle management positions and some of your business "leadership" positions and see who is actually producing anything worthwhile.
    LISTEN (#7 in your little 3 C's chart) to those that perform the work and see your customers (drivers and inside sales) NOT account managers-they will say anything to look good.
    Hold your account managers more responsible for visiting the customers and solving problems. DO NOT leave it for the branch personnel to fix account manager mistakes, lies and oversites (read blow off of a customer; happens WAY TOO OFTEN in the Mid South area).
    Drivers are much more important to your business than you realize. Don't tell them they are the 'face of Airgas' in one breath, then treat them like crap the rest of the month. Pay them what they're worth. For all the endorsements and training required, I can go somewhere else tomorrow and make A LOT more money....and I may.

Fresh of out school? Start here!

Current Employee - BSC Office Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - BSC Office Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Airgas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flextime (for MOST departments; obviously some Job Requirements for certain positions won't allow) - it actually motivates me to get in earlier, so I can get out earlier and be more productive
    - Location
    - Office culture and co-workers; I am a new grad in my first full-time role. Due to frequent acquistions, Airgas company culture evolves frequently as well. Long story short, we're all new and learn together. I don't feel intimidated, just welcomed
    - Employee Benefits; great vacation time, salary and tuition reimbursement... this is ideal for a young professional

Cons

- This is a large company with a corporate feel (not an issue for me, but I can see this won't be appealing for everyone)
    - With large companies, there is a lot of learning that goes with it. However, the Business Support Centers (BSCs) were recently put into place to streamline policies and general work flow
    - Some old school mentalities still exist in upper management, though I do see this changing with newly hired managers in multiple locations

Advice to Management

I would actually advise those looking to join this company; when using research tools such as Glassdoor be mindful that with a large company (15,000+) our team includes all different professionals in the gas industry. A truck driver's opinion of his time with Airgas will vary from those in Real Estate pockets. Basically, use good judgement and do your research!

As for management, be mindful of the idea of changing times... I think we are seeing more favorability to a more liberal environment, but if you want to attract young talent, flexibility is attractive!