Inexperienced leadership

I worked at Airy Labs

Pros

Was able to work with an extremely talented team who were all from the top of their fields.
Was able to gain exposure to the industry and learn more about the start up world.

Cons

Management was very inexperienced and did not articulate the goals and vision of the company very well to the employees.

Extreme micromanagement and discouraged communication between teams was a detriment to productivity.

Parents involvement in management and organizational structure inhibited any work from getting done.

Figure out the company's vision, revenue structure, and competitive advantage before re-entering the industry. Allow employees to do what they do best and motivate them through inspiration rather then fear.

Other Reviews for Airy Labs

Good goal, inexperienced management

I have been working at Airy Labs

Pros

Very helpful, cheerful and awesome coworkers
    Educational games, way better than random mafia games
    Good location
    Good office space and resources
    free bagels and coffee
    High standards of design

Cons

low pay
    poor management
    art is approved by people with no/minimal background in art
    90% Asians?
    new hires interviewed by fresh graduates/inexperienced employees

Hire a manager who has experience managing startups

It was an experience.

Former Employee - Former Employee
    Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at Airy Labs

Pros

The magement team reminded me of my parents. They were tough, but they cared about my health and showed random bouts of affection (buying snacks, ice cream). They asked for a lot, so I was constantly focused and I think I became more diligent as a person while I was there. I definitely noticed a change in my habits - I did things as soon as I thought to do them, rather than putting them off until later.

I loved my coworkers. They're great, funny people, and are fun to hang out with.

Cons

That being said, the management were unlike parents in that they definitely didn't love us. They asked for work hours that are probably normal in the country they're from, but are not okay here. I don't think they adjusted for culture difference. That's how I'm choosing to look at it, anyway. The time and efforts they asked their employers to put in did not align with the pay they handed out (somewhat understandable as they are a young start-up) or with the appreciation they showed.

I wish they would understand that everyone who joined did so because Airy Labs holds a wonderful vision. We employees were/are there to help them work toward this vision because we believe in it too. The employees are definitely not in it for the money. Many of us sacrificed family time we can never get back to build their vision, which we made our own. The ones who couldn't take the work load left right away. It'd be nice if the ones who stayed were shown more appreciation and human kindness.

Please, please don't be too proud to let go some of your old school values. We want you to succeed. But we're human and we have other needs, too. Your entire life may be with the company, because your family is in it, but ours aren't. We are already dedicating an insane amount of our lives to something that, in the end, benefits you more than it does us. Please, please listen to other opinions.

There are newer employer reviews for Airy Labs.

Worked for Airy Labs? Contribute to the Community!