Akamai

www.akamai.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Akamai

Solid Tech Company

I have been working at Akamai

Pros

- Very well positioned with cloud, security, and data trends opening lots of opportunity for the company
- Strong and respected senior management team
- Incredibly intelligent coworkers some of which are leaders in their fields

Cons

- Still a bit of a start up mentality even as it grows to be over $1B company
- Lot of new hires leading to a new v old guard separation in talent

- Focus on prioritization of key company objectives
- Establish the infrastructure to onboard new resources effectively during current growth

331 Other Employee Reviews for Akamai (View Most Recent)

Very dissatisfying as an engineer. Set me back by a couple of years.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is decent'ish. People are nice to each other. Non-toxic work environment.

Cons

Luddites rule the roost at Akamai - the thinking(often times of architects and engineering leaders) is stuck in the 80's and 90's, stubborn and insular. Being one of the earliest movers in what we now think of as the "enterprise cloud"-space, they have let so many opportunities slip by and ceded ground(and are still doing so) to a plethora of "cloud" companies who did not have that advantage. There is no vision or technical leadership to even bridge this gap, let alone break out of this cycle of building and maintaining aging, fragile and inflexible technologies & infrastructure. A lot of time is spent on reinventing the wheel with little to no benefits. I can honestly say that my time at this company was the least productive and that it did not let me grow as an engineer - in fact I feel I regressed quite a bit, being stuck in a very dysfunctional engineering culture. Final observation: I have written and submitted college assignments with more rigor and quality than some of the code that gets shipped out to production at Akamai.

Learn from what is going on outside of Akamai. Inculcate a culture of openness to accepting when you are wrong and of learning from and building upon good/successful ideas. Ditch your old ways of thinking ASAP.

Awesome company, talented people, great benefits, unlimited timeoff (beat that!!)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome company, talented people, great benefits, unlimited timeoff, flexible schedule

Cons

The Internal departments have limited opportunities of growth

There are newer employer reviews for Akamai