There are newer employer reviews for Akamai

Great company, not without its warts

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai (More than 5 years)

Pros

The technology is really cool and unique, and the business is in an extremely strong position. There are a lot of smart people, so you learn a lot very quickly. There is a lot to do and hard work is rewarded to some degree. Most of the people people are good to work with as well.

Cons

The system is complicated and there are a lot of details to learn. Politics can be rough at times. There is a lot of proprietary software and a lot of it is not well documented and/or supported.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Excellent company

Current Employee - Senior Lead Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent company, great tech, great people. Global reach, and conservative business plan.

Cons

Shifting managerial vision at the top, terrible at acquiring other companies. Barebones fringe benefits. Terrible name recognition. Oftentimes too sales driven.

Advice to Management

Spend more in engineering. Every project is painfully under-resourced.

Very dissatisfying as an engineer. Set me back by a couple of years.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Akamai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is decent'ish. People are nice to each other. Non-toxic work environment.

Cons

Luddites rule the roost at Akamai - the thinking(often times of architects and engineering leaders) is stuck in the 80's and 90's, stubborn and insular. Being one of the earliest movers in what we now think of as the "enterprise cloud"-space, they have let so many opportunities slip by and ceded ground(and are still doing so) to a plethora of "cloud" companies who did not have that advantage. There is no vision or technical leadership to even bridge this gap, let alone break out of this cycle of building and maintaining aging, fragile and inflexible technologies & infrastructure. A lot of time is spent on reinventing the wheel with little to no benefits. I can honestly say that my time at this company was the least productive and that it did not let me grow as an engineer - in fact I feel I regressed quite a bit, being stuck in a very dysfunctional engineering culture. Final observation: I have written and submitted college assignments with more rigor and quality than some of the code that gets shipped out to production at Akamai.

Advice to Management

Learn from what is going on outside of Akamai. Inculcate a culture of openness to accepting when you are wrong and of learning from and building upon good/successful ideas. Ditch your old ways of thinking ASAP.