Akamai

There are newer employer reviews for Akamai

UX Design Intern

Current Employee - User Experience Design in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - User Experience Design in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Akamai as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Many companies give interns easier projects but Akamai had me work on pretty significant projects.
- Free breakfast and lunch once a week

Cons

- they don't pay for lunch hours if you're getting paid hourly
- The San Mateo office didn't have a cafeteria or a place nearby to buy food, but they are moving
- Desks were set up as cubicles. Made the office space extremely quiet.

321 Other Employee Reviews for Akamai (View Most Recent)

Angst driven

Former Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice benefits and location. some great people to work with..while most seem to have no problem stabbing people in the back or throwing people under the bus.

Gaslighting is a true art form within Akamai saw this happen to several people before it happen to me.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, only way to keep up is to take computer home and work evening and weekends including vacations.

lack of true opportunities unless part of the good ol boy's club....women not welcome.

why..they dont care and haven't from the start.

After a decade, I still love this company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people to work with and the job is very interesting.
    You get a chance to change the world everyday by helping Akamai's customers with new project (almost every cool Internet service out there uses them like top social sites, all big news sites, media sites, etc).
    Lots of internal chances to grow (if you are good).
    Good health benefits, lots of funded culture clubs to choose from (like fishing, surfing, scuba diving, chess, coffee, biking, beer, etc.), free drinks and food (varies from office to office).
    Over the years I got approached by most of Akamai's competitors and interviewed with some of them to see which benefits and salary they offer, and I am happy to say that none of them pays as well or offers comparable benefits.

Cons

Hard to think of cons... Well the Akamai provided coffee in San Mateo sucks (some people have brought their own espresso machines though). Other Akamai offices I visited have cool espresso machines, so I guess this is just in San Mateo.

Keep innovating and ensure good people are happy as there is a lot of opportunities out there right now

There are newer employer reviews for Akamai