Akamai

www.akamai.com

Great place to work if you can get around the politics

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsAmazing people to work with (however YMMV depending on the team).
Direct managers are experienced and understanding people who get the need for proper work / life balance.
Work assignments are interesting and challenging.
Pay is generally higher than at other companies in the area.
Additional compensation through RSU awards, bonuses, and ESPP make working at Akamai financially rewarding for great performance.
Tom Leighton is awesome, smart, likable. He is fantastic for the job and really cares about the company and the people within it.
Health Care / Dental / Vision Options are good. Not outstanding, but good.
Deals with other companies allow for some decent discounts.

ConsPolitics are hard to overcome and can become frustrating.
Meritocracy is sometimes overridden with politics - this is especially notable in groups where negative practices are ignored and promotions are illogically granted.
The speed at which new technologies are accepted feels glacial at times.
Politics can cause better techniques, policies, and software to get trashed simply because they scare those who don't want change.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccountability is seriously lacking on some teams. This is mostly openly ignored due to politics and continues to cause animosity between teams.

As noted in the cons, better techniques and practices take far too long to implement due to irrational FUD. Antiquated development techniques and technologies need to be done away with. We should use technology that is better for us *now*, not stuff from 10 years ago.

Stop wasting money on goofy/cheeky trinkets that no one cares about (tshirts, pens, moon balls, etc). I'd rather a higher check for all employees than receiving a $5 "things remembered" item that the company paid $30 for. If you want us to brand the company better, give us free, comfortable, non-ridiculous clothes/jackets/hoodies that we can wear proudly. If company gear is tasteful and comfortable, employees will naturally become walking billboards.

A good career move for associate and mid-level product managers

Product Manager (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Reputable company, great colleagues and work life balance. Competitive compensation, 401k matching,… Cons: Limited product vision and politics. Career advancement within teams can… Advice to Senior Management: More mentoring less managing. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Best place to work

Finance Manager (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great management team that is very flat and very few egos… Cons: not the best infrastructure from a technology standpoint to analyze… Advice to Senior Management: Keep doing what you are doing Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Akamai.

Worked for Akamai? Contribute to the Community!