There are newer employer reviews for Akamai

Great place to work if you can get around the politics

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time

Pros

Amazing people to work with (however YMMV depending on the team). Direct managers are experienced and understanding people who get the need for proper work / life balance. Work assignments are interesting and challenging. Pay is generally higher than at other companies in the area. Additional compensation through RSU awards, bonuses, and ESPP make working at Akamai financially rewarding for great performance. Tom Leighton is awesome, smart, likable. He is fantastic for the job and really cares about the company and the people within it. Health Care / Dental / Vision Options are good. Not outstanding, but good. Deals with other companies allow for some decent discounts.

Cons

Politics are hard to overcome and can become frustrating. Meritocracy is sometimes overridden with politics - this is especially notable in groups where negative practices are ignored and promotions are illogically granted. The speed at which new technologies are accepted feels glacial at times. Politics can cause better techniques, policies, and software to get trashed simply because they scare those who don't want change.

Advice to Management

Accountability is seriously lacking on some teams. This is mostly openly ignored due to politics and continues to cause animosity between teams. As noted in the cons, better techniques and practices take far too long to implement due to irrational FUD. Antiquated development techniques and technologies need to be done away with. We should use technology that is better for us *now*, not stuff from 10 years ago. Stop wasting money on goofy/cheeky trinkets that no one cares about (tshirts, pens, moon balls, etc). I'd rather a higher check for all employees than receiving a $5 "things remembered" item that the company paid $30 for. If you want us to brand the company better, give us free, comfortable, non-ridiculous clothes/jackets/hoodies that we can wear proudly. If company gear is tasteful and comfortable, employees will naturally become walking billboards.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Akamai is a great place to work!

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers treat each other like family. They make sure I feel like I'm a valued member of the team. My work is appreciated. Tom Leighton <3

Cons

Most of my coworkers are much older than me. Akamai does not have many female executives. The culture is a bit more professional than I'd like.

2. Best place to work

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management team that is very flat and very few egos here, great pay and benefits, unliminted vacation if you can get it

Cons

not the best infrastructure from a technology standpoint to analyze the business

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing