There are newer employer reviews for Akamai

Excellent talent, great people, no room to move ahead

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Akamai

Pros

Akamai is a great company to work for in terms of talent and the kind of work they do. The colleagues you will work with and extremely bright, talented and motivated. You will be exposed to a lot of different areas in the Internet world and there's a lot to learn. Most groups are open and you can always just go walk to someone and ask about their product.

Cons

Career development is almost non existent. Moving between different levels of engineering doesn't really matter much. There's still a lot of old guard in the company and it's not easy to compete against them in terms of promotions (which in a way is good). A lot has changed in the recent years with a number of acquisitions and the company is no longer as tight knit as before.

Benefits are nothing to write home about.

No idea. I'm bad at advice!

280 Other Employee Reviews for Akamai (View Most Recent)

Owned and operated by the J team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai

Pros

Its a job.
    Depending on which department you are in you can get away with working part time for full time salary.
    If you are in the chosen departments money flows like water.
    Good benefits and a good work/life balance.

Cons

Layoffs(doubled some peoples workload) even when the company has record profits, record revenues, and record amount of customers.
    No salary increases even when the company has record profits, record revenues, and record amount of customers.
    The J team clearly runs the company with short term financial goals in mind.
    An extreme lack of communication between groups, employees and management.
    Per usual with most companies a few torch bearers push/pull the rest along.

Employees are the strength of the company as with most companies, actually listen to them, that would be nice. You need to capitalize on the entrepreneur within the employees. Why for heaven's sake would you not have salary increases for the good employees? Seriously, I have worked nights, weekends, etc.. everything you would expect to be rewarded for, but I am told to be thankful I have a job without a salary increase, way to go, now I no longer put the extra effort in and instead I use that effort to find another job. "get the wrong people off the bus"... how about getting the peple who brought the wrong people in off the bus?

Decent place to work

I worked at Akamai

Pros

Smart and very talented set of people
    Close to MIT campus, Easy to get into the academia vibration
    Pay is decent

Cons

Office space is cluttered.
    Technical Support service is very slow .
    Feels like a typical 8 to 5 desk job for a developer position (but extends well into nights ... at times)

Keep up the good effort. Add more social techie events to mix work and relax instead of work , work ....work.

There are newer employer reviews for Akamai