Akamai

There are newer employer reviews for Akamai

Doesn't care about employees

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good location, nice benefits, good pay.

Cons

Management doesn't care and doesn't listen. There is verbal abuse that happens, but no one is willing to speak out because of a culture of fear that has crept in. I left because as a software engineer from MIT I had big ideas and wanted to go somewhere I thought I could make a big impact. Akamai turned out to not be much like they said it would when the aggressively recruited me.

Clean house and try again.

332 Other Employee Reviews for Akamai (View Most Recent)

Stuck in the past

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People are really nice. A modest amount of effort is made to have some fun. Some attention is made to quality. So far they've been generous.

Cons

Silo managed. Each group works in its own silo separate from other groups. Deep management structure aggravates the situation. We have more managers than a company 10 times our size. People who work on the same section of code may not share a common manager until the top executive VP six levels up. New technology comes in through acquisition rather than research. Definite lack of diversity. Few blacks and few woman in development.

Cut out the middle management. Flatten the management structure. Invest in research. The same people working on the product and working with customers know what needs to be done, so set aside some of their time to do research. Allow us to create our own personal workspaces. Adopt some modern SDLC.

Great company!

I have been working at Akamai full-time

Pros

Well respected company, amazing technologies, great company culture that is full of incredibly smart people!

Cons

Product packaging to internal resources who work on the field is lacking. Product packaging for customers is also lacking.

There are newer employer reviews for Akamai