Akamai

www.akamai.com
There are newer employer reviews for Akamai

Interesting challenges, but not all its cracked up to be

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting areas to work like CDN, Cloud, Security.

Cons

Not a big fan of their corporate policy which they invoke at will if they want to get rid of you. Lawyer will shove you out the door, and not let you explain anything. Also the ability to move up is limited, ability to work on private projects is a rare commodity. Their corporate spirit is contrived, pretending to have a start up mentality. Acquisition of companies are sometimes not wise.

319 Other Employee Reviews for Akamai (View Most Recent)

More Like a Confederation of Many Smaller Companies Than a $1 Billion+ Internet Giant

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is loaded with smart people. It's challenging and exciting to work in an environment where the *internship* candidates are working on their second Ph.D.'s!

Working at Akamai sometimes feels like working "backstage at The Internet," as we watch terabytes of data fly around the world. (Marketing claims that we "deliver 30% of the content on the Internet" are conveniently impossible to verify or refute.)

My view of the company is shaped by the group I work with - largely a set of dedicated, knowledgeable people with deep domain expertise and a willingness to share whatever they can in terms of time, knowledge, and tips. I work in the Cambridge office.

Cons

The company is saturated with antiquated, overlapping and competing systems (how many bug tracking / project management systems do we have? I lost count at five!).

Efforts are duplicated across the company.

This year, in announcing our *first* ever recognition of International Women's Day, our founder and CEO said "There's an International Women's Day! Who knew?!" That tells you everything you need to know about the company's dismal track record when it comes to addressing gender imbalances at the engineering, management, and director levels.

I've met maybe four female software engineers in my 7+ years at Akamai (but it's OK, 2/3 of the accounting and human resources staff are women - just not the department heads). I've encountered one black male software engineer - I hear there may be a few more out there. (But nearly every security guard and mailroom employee and maintenance worker is a person of color, so it's cool, right?). FOUR of the 48 people in executive leadership roles are nonwhite - four men, all of them of South Asian descent. FOUR of the 48 people in executive leadership roles are women, all of them white.

Beyond the complete lack of diversity among the employees, the company seems to be innovating chiefly through marketing rather than investing in real research and development. Some teams do devote resources to thinking ahead, but this is not a coordinated, company-wide effort. Attempts at major process improvements are inevitably stymied by stubborn and/or backward-looking managers.

Invest more in your employees. Invest more in research. Blow up the customer portal and start from scratch. Start developing *real* replacements for mission-critical legacy systems which I was told were considered obsolete when I was hired more than seven years ago! Stop hiring senior managers and executives from fading, aging tech companies like Cisco. See if you can find a few talented women and a few people of color to fill senior management, engineering, and sales roles.

A great company with some really smart people.

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart people, excellent compensation packages, flexible work hours and locations, competent management that know what they are doing, and how to grow the company, lots of career growth opportunity.

Cons

Product development moves slow. Product groups operate in silos, and should be forced to work together. Process to define sales quotas needs to be reviewed/fixed. Pricing and product structure needs an overhaul. Not all offices are the same (The SF office is WAY nicer than some of the others, like NYC).

Pointed in the right direction, so keep doing what you are doing!

There are newer employer reviews for Akamai