interview

Current Intern - Embedded Systems Intern in Cambridge, MA
Current Intern - Embedded Systems Intern in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

nice colleagues, nice environment. my manager is not too pushy. my work is building up embedded system to monitor the datacenter.

Cons

few talks between others. hardware group is too small, and the company is for software. so most time our group is working on how to solve others problem,we have no our own harware products

Advice to Management

talk more and give suggestions more to each other

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Company's Immigration Policy is only in place not in effect

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a immigration policy in place that could really attract a international talent to join the work force.( It is not in effect though. When its time to begin it only has excuses after excuses) They pay for premium processing for your H1B visa transfer of employee to happily join the company. The policy is not in alignment with the HR department that makes it difficult for the existing employees to get their employment based permanent visa filled on time. They also pay in full for the employee's immigration needs but unfortunately only once which is not sufficient for most of the cases.

Cons

There are lots of excuses from the HR department. Few horrible examples include "We do not have sufficient employee to cover all the open cases for the permanent labor application." "We said 6 months but it is going to take another year" (specially after you have joined the company!) "We hired too many people so cannot file your application. You have some more time." Honestly if you are a employee on H1 B visa. The application will begin only in your 4th year of H1B anniversary. That is the time when the company will think you are short of the time to work. So if you are looking for a employer to not put you in this dilemma find a different place to hang your hat. The company spends only one time on your permanent labor application process(frugal attitude) It may take a long time for a few to become senior in the company and unfortunately you can not file the desired application process till you become senior. (They will not tell you this when you join them) The employees working with the HR department who work on the immigration cases of the international employees behave extremely arrogant and disrespectful. Not helpful and egoist people. They gave me a feeling as if the person was not happy towards a few particular origin nationality or may be the person does not like the job. Very much a realistic concern to have! specially if the person does know who the real customers are to their job.

Advice to Management

Please look into this matter to retain the internationals that wish to make Akamai as their work place for long term. Rough behavior with the existing employee while going through the sensitive process of green card application can reduce the moral of the employee to work with company for long run. Cutting cost on immigration needs of the talent working with you can lead to a long term unstable marriage between international employee and Akamai. Like many other unfortunate companies Akamai can also loose the reputation to attract talent of international origin to make Akamai a work place for them. Please relive the concern since Akamai in last 2 years have hired a lot of international employees in USA. The above concern gives a feeling as if someone is driving slavery in the company silently.

Low Compensation - Hard to move up

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Akamai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Setting own schedule. Working from home

Cons

Hard to move up. No incentive. Management doesn't know what the hell is going on most of the time. Low pay.