Aker Solutions
www.akersolutions.com Lysaker, Norway 50 to 149 Employees

A company still trying to find its identity.

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA good number of subject matter experts.
Friendly colleagues.
Flexible work schedule (for some groups).
Very good health benefits.
Above-average salaries depending on the department.
In most cases, employees have the ability to switch departments if you want to be challenged in another area.

ConsAs the company headquarters is in Norway, they consistently try to "globalize" the other regions to follow procedures and standards that are more applicable to European regulations and clients. These initiatives are seemingly followed by our SVP and VPs without question...even though some of those initiatives have the potential to hurt our local business due to the difficulty of meeting our local clients' requirements. In addition to this, we do not have equal amounts of resources here in Houston to execute our projects in an efficient manner. Norway has plenty of people to put on projects, but here you will find people working on multiple projects and receive little or no additional support.

Most mid-level managers and supervisors at the company are very good and treat their team members fairly. However, there are a couple of micro-managers there who have groups that are engrossed in chaos. If you can manage to avoid working in these groups, it's not a bad place to work. The company has 6 core values that look good on paper, but it is apparent that only certain people (i.e. anyone below VP level) are actually held accountable to them, because some of the higher-ups operate in a manner that is contradictory to those values.

The company reorganizes a bit too often in my opinion. In the years that I have worked there, I've lost count of how many managers, VPs, and even CEO's I've had. It has been quite some time that we've had leadership whom we could really believe in.

Training (except for SAP training) is non-existent. It looks like they are trying to change this, but it will take some time for this to really be implemented, and that's if they follow through with it. This was tried a few years ago and was off to a good start until there was (surprise) another re-organization and the new regime dictated that there was no budget for training.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of supporting your local workforce. It is quite evident that the expertise of a few employees in Houston overshadow the experience level of several groups within the so-called Centres of Excellence. It gets quite old having every argument end with "this is a Norway initiative and it isn't up for discussion."

Undirected

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Most of the professionals are good people who simply want to… Cons: Everyone is under the constant threat of being let go at the end of a… Advice to Senior Management: Stop telling people how to do their job and get out of the way. End the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great Place to Work Back in the Day

Senior Paralegal and Risk Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: I started with the company when it was John Brown. Cons: Too many acquisitions in a short period of time. Advice to Senior Management: Difficult to advice as there have been so many changes… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Aker Solutions.

Worked for Aker Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aker Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aker Solutions CEO √ėyvind Eriksen. All reviews posted anonymously by Aker Solutions employees.