Akin Gump

Great intro to the law ... and Biglaw

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Akin Gump

Pros

The work is very high-level, and the mentoring by other attorneys (associates and partners) is top-notch. The salaries and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Like most BigLaw, the downsides are the billable hours requirements and the uncertainty about the prospects for partnership after 7-10 years. .

The firm has an inverted pyramid. It might be time to take a hard look at the partners who might not be contributing fully.

33 Other Employee Reviews for Akin Gump (View Most Recent)

Akin Gump Rocks!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Akin Gump

Pros

Work/Life Balance. Always willing to give me my earned time off for my child.

Cons

The recent turnover of a lot of partners. We haven't quite recovered. There seems to be so many empty offices and we will really need to fill them.

We know the economy is in turmoil and layoffs are inevitable, but what is the real criteria? Performance reviews, longevity, etc. I personally think that the summer associate program needs to be really trimmed back. Way too much money is spent on this program. I know we have to compete with other firms, but in this economy I think it is possible to cut the program.

Recent departures cause jittery nerves among staff at Akin Gump

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Washington, DC

I have been working at Akin Gump

Pros

I have always felt that Akin Gump was a place where my contribution was appreciated and that feedback from me to management was at least acknowledged. Their feedback to me is routine and open. There is no one watching over my shoulder and if I keep my attorneys happy, admin seems to be happy. I feel that I negotiated a good salary to start with since I was hired to be a secretary to a partner who was known to be difficult. I asked for more than I expected to get and they met that demand and added some to boot!

Cons

Lately (May 2008) the office has been in turmoil because of the departure of a fair number of partners. It is only through news stories that I know that the NY partners are balking at the rates and per partner profits of the other offices. This has caused staff to wonder if we are in trouble or just adjusting our practice. The office is looking a little shabby these days, and that feeds the rumor mill. The managing partner met with us to try to quell the nervousness, but most people felt that he was just giving us the party line. It still remains to be seen if Akin is on the way up, or down or just maintaining the status quo.

Be aware that the staff are feeling a great deal of insecurity about the upheaval in the partnership. Some affirmation would go a long way toward settling nerves. We may lose some good people who are afraid to remain on a perceived sinking ship. For heaven's sake, paint the walls and clean the carpets! It looks like no one cares.

There are newer employer reviews for Akin Gump