Akin Gump

Good place to work

Current Employee - Attorney, 8th-Year in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Attorney, 8th-Year in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Akin Gump

Pros

Good work environment, good bonuses, flexibility in determining your own schedule. There are lots of opportunities to do pro bono work and all pro bono hours count just like billable hours.

Cons

Work can come at any time, twenty four hours a day, seven days per week. Chances of making partner are small, and there is little transparency on partnership admissions.

The more communication with the associates, the better. The new focus on evaluations is good, but they need to make sure that the evaluators use the same standards.

33 Other Employee Reviews for Akin Gump (View Most Recent)

Great intro to the law ... and Biglaw

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Akin Gump

Pros

The work is very high-level, and the mentoring by other attorneys (associates and partners) is top-notch. The salaries and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Like most BigLaw, the downsides are the billable hours requirements and the uncertainty about the prospects for partnership after 7-10 years. .

The firm has an inverted pyramid. It might be time to take a hard look at the partners who might not be contributing fully.

Akin Gump Rocks!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Akin Gump

Pros

Work/Life Balance. Always willing to give me my earned time off for my child.

Cons

The recent turnover of a lot of partners. We haven't quite recovered. There seems to be so many empty offices and we will really need to fill them.

We know the economy is in turmoil and layoffs are inevitable, but what is the real criteria? Performance reviews, longevity, etc. I personally think that the summer associate program needs to be really trimmed back. Way too much money is spent on this program. I know we have to compete with other firms, but in this economy I think it is possible to cut the program.

There are newer employer reviews for Akin Gump