Alamo Rent A Car

Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Alamo Rent A Car

n/a

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car

Pros

It's pretty much a easy job.

Cons

You don't have a life once you start working here. They make enough money to pay more.

n/a

23 Other Employee Reviews for Alamo Rent A Car (View Most Recent)

Not the best but not the worst either.

Current Employee - Rental Agent in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Rental Agent in Portland, OR

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The thing I love about here are most definitely the type of people they hire, fun loving and out going. Awesome benefits but not so great base pay. There are chances for fantastic incentives as long as you work hard.

Cons

There are many types of managers here and it can become a bit stressful. It's hard working conditions ing some locations so be aware of that.

Really listen to your employees.

Former Employee

Former Employee - Rental Agent in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Rental Agent in Detroit, MI

I worked at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is such a great company to work for. I find working in the smaller locations is better than working in a larger location, due to the fact you can actually get a chance to talk to the customer you're helping and get to know what their needs are and what they're looking for in renting a car. It's an upbeat, fast paced environment that really takes a lot of sales skills and multitasking skills and the understanding of some pretty old (1980's) technology. The managers I've worked for have (for the most part) been some of the nicest, most outstanding people I've had the pleasure of knowing and they're always willing to help you when you need help. Since this company is linked with Enterprise and National Car Rental, you get to share the fleet with the other two brands and can always ask for help from the other employees as well.

Cons

Most of the time we were always short on people at the counter, (usually only 2 working) so when the lines got long we didn't have enough people to get through the entire line in a timely manner. We would constantly be out of different vehicle sizes and customers would come in and scream at us about it, when we have nothing to do with the cars. It's basically sales based job, and if you don't meet the sales quota each month you're subject to demotion, which is extremely terrifying when you're not great at sales. Some managers will push you (and the customers) way too hard to sell things to people that they don't want, which makes the customer upset with not only the manager, but the counter agent that is working. (If they don't want to buy it, don't force them to). There's really no way of growing within the company unless you have a bachelors degree. There were times as well where it's difficult to get ahold of a manager on duty to help solve customer issues or problems. There was also forced overtime that you couldn't say no to unless you wanted to be fired, so you'll end up working 70 hours a week (granted that's with overtime pay), but having to work until midnight when you have to be back in at 6 am just isn't an ideal working situation.

Listen more closely to your employees needs and if they aren't making their sales quotas for the month, don't be so hard on them. The forced overtime is something that really should go away, because there should always be enough rental agents on duty to be able to cover the counter so the person who is supposed to leave can go home and prepare for the next working day.

There are newer employer reviews for Alamo Rent A Car