Alaska Airlines

www.alaskaair.com
  www.alaskaair.com
There are newer employer reviews for Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines: No culture, no spirit, no future.

Current Employee - Pilot in Anchorage, AK
Current Employee - Pilot in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Airlines

Pros

If you want to live and fly in Anchorage or Seattle and don't mind working for a company whose management team only wants to take care of themselves then this is the place for you.

Cons

Management continually fails to recognize the expertise available in day to day operations by current employees and makes decisions based on "focus groups" comprised of mid level managers who are out of touch with operations.
What little positive corporate culture and team spirit is left is rapidly decaying under management's remote and deaf leadership.
Constant reminders by leadership that they don't trust your judgement or ability to help lead the operation.

Start taking care of your people. I don't think it is too late to recover from the damage you have caused to this once great company. Go ride on SWA and see how their culture is. That culture and spirit is cultivated from above by a management team who actually cares about employees and the future of the company.
Use the expertise available from your employees in shaping the future of the company and day to day operations. We see what goes on every day and can help to fix things. Let us take some ownership of this company.
If things continue the way they are going the company is going to decay into another labor problem filled legacy carrier like NWA and when we reach that level there will be no turning around.

91 Other Employee Reviews for Alaska Airlines (View Most Recent)

You know how to hire great people, you just don't know how to keep them!

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Alaska Airlines

Pros

Before working for Alaska Air I thought that they were the "Cadiallac" of Airlines. After working there not so much.

Cons

Flights were oversold, delayed or mechanicals and Supervisors were never around to support the front line employees the supervisors went into hiding. Alaska Air should eliminate the unions as they were only good for protecting poor preforming employees. Overtime was never distributed evenly amoung all employees. If you were a new hire and you didn't volunteer every 48 hours to work overtime you were automatically given mandatory overtime.

The hiring process was like the reality shows on television today. You have to pass rounds of interviews to go to the next round of interviewing. My day started at 800 and ended finally at 1800 that evening. I thought I was going to be hired for a job paying $100K plus, instead of $10.15 per hour. You know how to hire great people, you just don't know how to keep them.

Complete lack of Leadership.

Current Employee - Pilot in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Pilot in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Alaska Airlines

Pros

They have nice new aircraft and the employees are great to work with.

Cons

Management is comprised of bean-counters who know nothing of leadership or accountability. Their only mission is to fill their pockets and thus only concern is shareholder returns. They put safety below their own interests and that is not good in the airline business. In their defense they have put out some great ideas like RNAV approaches and the "Airport of the Future." The milage plan is also good. Mainly, the way they treat employees is awful and there is no leadership.

Treat employees with respect and understand that customers and shareholders will be taken care of better by satisfied employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Alaska Airlines