Alaska Airlines

The Eskimo Weeps.

Current Employee - Management in SeaTac, WA
Current Employee - Management in SeaTac, WA

I have been working at Alaska Airlines

Pros

Alaska promotes a real family atmosphere, but it's more preach than practice sometimes. If you happen to work for a decent manager, you can take advantage of flexible schedules, commuter benefits and telecommuting. They offer a very generous PTO program for management. This is all at the discretion of your manager.

Cons

Alaska has done a lot of hiring from the outside lately. It's become a reitrement home for people from other loser airlines, and that fosters bad feelings from employees trying to get promoted. Alaska also seems to think that anyone in a position of leadership is automatically a good employee, which is not the case.

Start hiring qualified people from within the company. They exist and know the culture and dynamic of the company better than anyone from the outside.

91 Other Employee Reviews for Alaska Airlines (View Most Recent)

Alaska Airlines is a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Decline to State in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Decline to State in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Alaska Airlines

Pros

There is a ton of oppurtunity for growth/ upward mobility, if you choose to make Alaska Airlines a career. We have awesome bonuses , share profiting, and flight benefits. If you ever want to try a new job Alaska encourges you to go for it! If you don't like it, then you have three months to return to your previous position. You also get to meet a lot of different people, depending on what department you work in. Alaska is all about promoting from within the company and they love deidicated and passionate people who really want to be here.

Cons

Raises can be hard to come by if you are in a management position. Contracted positions get raises automatically. Also, if you are in a contracted position you are under a union which makes the incompetent, lazy people impossible to fire. Bill Ayer, the CEO loves to send e-mails about the financial position that the company is in to scare people into thinking that they are going to lose their jobs.

Good Job!

Alaska Airlines is holding their own.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Alaska Airlines

Pros

The best thing about working at Alaska Airlines is the travel benefits (when you get to use them). Most of the systems are new and pretty easy to support. Those we have written in the past are getting a lot of attention and may be replaced soon. Most of our duties now consist of vendor relations and management.

Cons

Well although we are doing better than most airlines we still are not seeing much profit sharing. Planes are full but at such a low price per seat we are just barely able to cover the cost of fuel. Stocks are down to an all time low, So we are all hoping for a new destination that everyone is willing to pay top dollar to visit.

We need to diversify our brand into food products, snack boxes for company meetings, school lunches, etc...
    Watch for our new hot wheels logo.

There are newer employer reviews for Alaska Airlines