Postdoctoral Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Pros

Intellectually the post doc experience has been good. I feel like there is lots of support from co-workers and PI's.

Cons

Salary is quite a bit low compared to other NYC universities. There seems to be a disconnect among PI's as to how expensive it is to live in this city on the NIH minimum. I am nearly ready to leave due to low salary when I would much rather stay.

Continue to improve salaries not only for postdocs but for technicians as well. Great job on collaboration among the scientists.

Other Reviews for Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Ups and downs at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Current Employee - Associate Professor  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Pros

It is a respectable educational and research institution with excellent cancer, diabetes, and neuroscience programs. The benefits associated with faculty positions are good, though not extraordinary. The start-up may be good but in any case they will do anything possible to cut it to the minimum. There is a great scientific community and wonderful research and teaching resources. So you can find a person to discuss your research and troubleshoot experiments very easily or find someone for collaborative projects very easily. Similarly, almost all equipment is in place either in shared facilities or in individual research laboratories. So the opportunities are immense.

Cons

Not enough advance thinking in the management, very difficult to penetrate through the clan. It is very difficult to advance on the payroll, even with adding revenues from outside resources the management is reluctant to pay raise. In other words if you start low, you will stay low. The important thing is to negotiate really good starting position. After the funding is lost, it is very difficult to survive as the crisis support runs only for 2 years in very limited fashion. However, once you get it, use it completely, do not try saving the funds. Will not help you.

Actively search the feedback from the faculty. There may be a lot of good ideas that never get to you and may/will cost a fortune in a long run.

Feel that your work is meaningful!

Current Employee - Research Coordinator  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Pros

Within my small division, I enjoy being surrounded by friendly, competent people. The school and its clinical affiliates have a proud history of being really active in the community, which is plagued by healthcare woes common among lower-income, immigrant populations. Einstein is part of a good medical research network, and enjoys significant collaborations with some of the top research institutions in the nation. Much to my surprise, employees in my category (Supervisory, Administrative, Managerial) have 4 weeks vacation offered from the first year of employment, with 100% matching on up to 7% 403b contributions, which seems rare in this field these days.

Cons

difficult location to commute to (north bronx) sometimes feel unsafe or uncomfortable as an educated non-minority

career advancement for lower-level employees!

There are newer employer reviews for Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Worked for Albert Einstein College of Medicine? Contribute to the Community!