Alberta Blue Cross

www.ab.bluecross.ca
  www.ab.bluecross.ca
There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Blue Cross

Good stepping stone, but don't overstay your welcome..

Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When first hired on, the raises are easy to come by for a hard working employee, and the opportunities are promising early on (but... read cons).
Work-life balance is quite good. Very easy to get time off when you need it.
Environment is pretty good. Most of the managers and co-workers in my area are very easy to get along with.

Cons

After staying there for 6+ years I now find that the job is stale, and I don't remember the last raise I've gotten aside from my "cost of living decrease" (average of 2.5% per year for the last 3 years... really!)
Team managers can tend to micro-manage too much.
I'm not sure if it's just that I've plateaued now, but this company is not what was when I first started. My excitement for work has unfortunately disappeared.

Have more faith in your employees. You are experts at managing work load, but the employees are experts at the actual work.

32 Other Employee Reviews for Alberta Blue Cross (View Most Recent)

Not great for a young professional

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture, activities and community support is amazing. There is always something on the go, casual work attire and "casual fridays" plus casual for a cause days.
    Promotion of healthy living.
    Decent Benefits (although you pay for it)
    Great pension plan.

Cons

Not a great place for a young professional. A lot of baby boomers that are very ageist against those who are younger. VERY VERY large generation gap. Worked here the last 7 years and have received nothing but mistreatment from those older.
    Extremely hard to get professional development training, took an entire year just to be approved to take professional development training. While certain departments (customer service) freely waste money on training employees who have no interest in staying with the company (i've known at least 3 who just wasted their maximum alotted training every year).
    Pay is slightly below average.
    Benefits you have to pay for part of it.
    Certain departments it is frowned upon to even call in sick and expected to constantly always work.
    Very poor communication from senior members to junior members.

Be more understanding of your employees needs; recognize age/generation gaps and deal with it. Your younger employees are your future, invest heavily in them, especially if they are a long time employee, they'll do the same in return if treated properly.

Lots of opportunity (and red tape)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross

Pros

Room for growth when you have good managers. This is a company that one could easily stay with for 10, 20+ years because of the many opportunities.
    Education allowance, excellent HR team make career paths easy to navigate.
    Flexible hours if you're in the right department and have a manager who subscribes to official corporate values.
    Defined benefit pension plan.

Cons

Salary is not competitive.
    Many managers are not forward-thinking, discourage innovative solutions, and want staff to minimize communication with other departments for fear of looking bad.

Appreciate that cross-departmental learning is beneficial and that front-line staff are often better sources of accurate information than diluted messages communicated by management. Recognize that flexible work hours/locations are hugely important to many talented staff members who are trying to balance work/life.

There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Blue Cross