NIce People, Low salary

Current Employee - Database Administrator  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Database Administrator in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

• People are very positive
• Nice Building
• Management very supportive
• Benefits

Cons

• Non-competitive salary
• Very low annual salary raise(almost the same as the previous year)
• very low raise on promotion
• HR never negotiate on salary

Although this is a non profit organisation but for good people to stay, salary must be paid according to the market standards

Other Reviews for Alberta Blue Cross

Out of touch, dated culture

Former Employee - Team Manager  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The business is interesting and can be very challenging/rewarding with the right manager. The diversity of opportunities is also fantastic with the right manager.

Fantastic pension.

Cons

There is significant stagnancy among management. They are out-of-touch and seem genuinely confused when good staff leave or are dissatisfied with decisions that are never explained. The surface culture of work/life balance and innovation is just that - there is very little allowance for flexibility in how staff work, so committed management-level staff (and even lower) end up working too many hours/weekends off the record to keep up with job requirements. Good people have been leaving in droves over the last two years.

The education allowance is tricky - I was able to take advantage of it because the manager I had (before he left) was phenomenal and would go to bat for me - but most people weren't able to take advantage of it because of pressure for managers to decline requests.

Compensation is poor, but the pension is fabulous if you're staying for 20+ years. (Which is why people do, even when they don't want to be there.)

Listen to your staff. Embrace innovation. Don't make changes for the sake of making changes, but evolve to be better and to solve problems. Get staff support by helping them understand the vision of the business. Value talent.

Completely lost touch with its employees

Former Employee - Somewhere In IT  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Somewhere In IT in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people there is what would make someone want to stay. Various charity events and their great employee culture make this a great place to start a career at.

Cons

Poor pay that they claim is competitive with the "market", however it seems they compare to other non-profit companies.

Very wasteful spending, they tend to also waste a lot of paper for a company that claims to be "green".

Over several years, they have lost touch with their employees and no longer seem to invest in their employees. There are so many people with longer tenure that for a young person such as myself, it seemed there was absolutely no room for advancement unless you waited 10 years for someone to retire, and even then they would still consider hiring an external person rather than continue to invest in you and groom you for that position. There are a lot of promises thrown around that go unfounded, for example, promise of helping you move up in the company into a better position but when asked to approve the courses required to take it, you're given the run around, it took me 3 years to finally take a single course and it wasn't even the one I wanted to take but one they felt would help (in hindsight it did not help me AT ALL, the one I wanted did.)

Age discrimination and favouritism is rampant here. I know of several people simply fired because they "did not fit in" with their manager, but worked very well with everyone else in the company.

Over the last year alone, I know of several people (including myself) that have felt very similar and have left the company to go elsewhere.

Invest in your younger employees, especially ones that started there young and spent a lot of their adult life there. They are your future. Don't necessarily just give in to what they want, but hear them out and help them. If a position isn't open, keep in touch to see how you can make them want to continue being there. I know several employees that left to other companies, yes for more money, but would have stayed for less, or the same pay, by simply having their career goals met.

Training for your baby boomers/older employees on how to deal with the new younger generation is essential!

There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Blue Cross.

Worked for Alberta Blue Cross? Contribute to the Community!