Alberta Health Services

www.albertahealthservices.ca
  www.albertahealthservices.ca
There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Health Services

" If harassment and head games are your thing then jump aboard "

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Coordinator in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Health Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Adequate compensation and decent benefits package
Great bunch of talented, caring and dedicated frontline staff
Employer stability

Cons

A very political environment that attracts and promotes a plethora of highly unskilled managers that resort to intimidation and bullying tactics in a variety of working disciplines within the organization. Management fails to recognize the laboring contributions of their greatest resources and that their success is largely attributed to acknowledging their staff rather than resorting to victimization and bullying tactics. Very poisoned work culture that is the product of it's poor unskilled managers and archaic style of management. General lack of regard for employees in all disciplines resulting in lack of job satisfaction due to the above mentality. Huge head games played here.

Managers need to learn to personal biases aside upon arriving to the office and stop listening and promoting threatened brown nosing sociopaths who resort to regularly defaming colleagues because of their own personal insecurities and jealousy. Participate in course selection that educates you on the benefits and rewards of listening to frontline staff, execute these skills of coaching, mentoring and empowering both direct reports and frontline staff to achieve the best possible results in any given situation encountered. Your lack of regard and compassion for the trials and difficulties of your staff are strong verifiable indicators that you lack the skills associated with good management .

82 Other Employee Reviews for Alberta Health Services (View Most Recent)

Health Research Student Co-Op Alberta Health Services.

Former Employee - Summer Research Assistant  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Summer Research Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Health Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is much room for growth into higher positions since Alberta health services is expanding especially with the opening of a new hospital in the Calgary area so they are very keen on internal hiring. Also, depending on the position you can qualify for various benefits such as; gas millage, health insurance and moving expenses right away.

Cons

Alberta health services is a province wide government health care provider therefore the hiring process is quite lengthy and it will take approximately a month to 8 weeks before all your employee training and on-boarding details are complete. Although, Alberta health services has an online hiring process most positions are filled using the internal hiring process or through referral
     so be sure to make contacts within Alberta Health Services before applying (especially for student positions). With regards to Summer Student Research opportunities funding for this has been cut in the recent years so very few positions are available through out the year.

The management for student research positions is okay. I cant say much about other areas of Alberta Health Services.

Clerk IV

Former Employee - Clerk IV  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Clerk IV in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Health Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great staff! I worked with some of the most dedicated and caring staff that I have ever met. The front line staff are the ones that really do make this organization. I liked my role, but it was one that I carved out for myself.

Cons

Work culture has not great. The management styles were stuck in the past and were a bit outdated. Not much room for advancement. Also, changes were implemented hastily without enough thought and fore planning. There is also a lack of recognition especially for front line staff (at least in my department).

Learn to embrace change and better communication. Be transparent at all levels of the organization. Take the values of the organization and really make it a priority to show these values to all staff at every level as well as the public. Management should come to work thinking how can I better serve my staff and the public, then worry about the bottom line. Not the other way around.

There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Health Services

Worked for Alberta Health Services? Contribute to the Community!