Alberta Health Services

www.albertahealthservices.ca
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Health Services

Worked in IS department and it felt like a dictatorship

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Health Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent and the various benefits were great, given that AHS doesn't really pay for training it's nice to have the Flex benefits which you can put towards training. Liked that they have a pension plan.

Cons

Very Big brother like atmosphere, left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing. The politics in this organization is horrible. Not much room for advancement unless you take a position on in another department. They generally don't pay for training, if it's free, no problem.

When a manager is hired, they should be hired based on qualifications and not who they know.

99 Other Employee Reviews for Alberta Health Services (View Most Recent)

Health Research Student Co-Op Alberta Health Services.

Former Employee - Summer Research Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Summer Research Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Health Services part-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is much room for growth into higher positions since Alberta health services is expanding especially with the opening of a new hospital in the Calgary area so they are very keen on internal hiring. Also, depending on the position you can qualify for various benefits such as; gas millage, health insurance and moving expenses right away.

Cons

Alberta health services is a province wide government health care provider therefore the hiring process is quite lengthy and it will take approximately a month to 8 weeks before all your employee training and on-boarding details are complete. Although, Alberta health services has an online hiring process most positions are filled using the internal hiring process or through referral
     so be sure to make contacts within Alberta Health Services before applying (especially for student positions). With regards to Summer Student Research opportunities funding for this has been cut in the recent years so very few positions are available through out the year.

The management for student research positions is okay. I cant say much about other areas of Alberta Health Services.

Clerk IV

Former Employee - Clerk IV in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Clerk IV in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Health Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff! I worked with some of the most dedicated and caring staff that I have ever met. The front line staff are the ones that really do make this organization. I liked my role, but it was one that I carved out for myself.

Cons

Work culture has not great. The management styles were stuck in the past and were a bit outdated. Not much room for advancement. Also, changes were implemented hastily without enough thought and fore planning. There is also a lack of recognition especially for front line staff (at least in my department).

Learn to embrace change and better communication. Be transparent at all levels of the organization. Take the values of the organization and really make it a priority to show these values to all staff at every level as well as the public. Management should come to work thinking how can I better serve my staff and the public, then worry about the bottom line. Not the other way around.

There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Health Services