Alberta Health Services
www.albertahealthservices.ca Calgary, Canada 5000+ Employees

Political. Need I say more?

Environmental Services II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alberta Health Services part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay's about as good as you'll get in small town Alberta, but it's the same in the city as it is in tiny towns with a hospital. For some positions there's the chance of advancement, for most others you need your schooling in order, but raises seemed to come regularly enough. I had opportunities to move up to full and better part time positions. Working the floor? You'll stay in shape. It's solid hard work. I was working in a good team, most of us worked together well and got our work done effectively. Not everyone was so lucky.

The benefits and vacation packages seemed to be good enough.

The best thing for me was that the work was never really boring, it came with surprises and new challenges every day. But that would depend on what kind of position you take too.

It's good work if you love the challenges that come with health care and for all the cons I still recommend it to people with their hearts in the right place, only with the caveat: there are cons, and only you can decide if it's worth it.

ConsLeadership always seems to be butting heads. Random weird changes that seemed like they came from people who never worked the floor. Extremely political: often like working with a bunch of high school aged women in middle aged bodies. Backstabbing, passive aggression, all par for the course. An older worker told me if it had been her first job she never would have worked again; the workplace politics got intense. Also if you have scent allergies, at least in my facility, many of the office staff neglected the policy. Frequently short-staffed, which got frustrating when cutbacks started rolling in. Little direction, and a high turnover rate, though it always seemed to be the good ones that quit and the ones that should have been fired just got bogged into red tape and hung on.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you just shove things around to look like you are important enough to deserve being payed twice as much as floor workers? It sure seems that way sometimes. At the very least, follow the policies and not wear perfume. Even if you don't work with patients, staff have scent allergies too. We all wish it was mandatory for you to work on the floor a little. Oh, and if you're going to complain about our cell phones, please don't stand in the hallways texting on your working time. I understand why, but be a good example.

Contract Coordinator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Alberta Health Services full-time

Pros: Great Team to Work with and strong coworker relations Cons: Lack of leadership in management and direction. Advice to Senior Management: Allow your employees to grow Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Completely disfunction organization

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Health Services full-time for less than a year

Pros: The pay is decently competitive, very excellent benefits for non-union… Cons: HR is a joke. Some people don't get paid for months at a time, the hiring process is awful, and absolutely no attention is given… Advice to Senior Management: Time to do a major clean-sweep of upper management. There are some good people, but way too many people who are too inexperienced in inept… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Alberta Health Services.

Worked for Alberta Health Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alberta Health Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alberta Health Services CEO Gene Zwozdesky . All reviews posted anonymously by Alberta Health Services employees.