Alberta Health Services

www.albertahealthservices.ca
  www.albertahealthservices.ca
There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Health Services

Political. Need I say more?

Current Employee - Environmental Services II
Current Employee - Environmental Services II

I have been working at Alberta Health Services part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay's about as good as you'll get in small town Alberta, but it's the same in the city as it is in tiny towns with a hospital. For some positions there's the chance of advancement, for most others you need your schooling in order, but raises seemed to come regularly enough. I had opportunities to move up to full and better part time positions. Working the floor? You'll stay in shape. It's solid hard work. I was working in a good team, most of us worked together well and got our work done effectively. Not everyone was so lucky.

The benefits and vacation packages seemed to be good enough.

The best thing for me was that the work was never really boring, it came with surprises and new challenges every day. But that would depend on what kind of position you take too.

It's good work if you love the challenges that come with health care and for all the cons I still recommend it to people with their hearts in the right place, only with the caveat: there are cons, and only you can decide if it's worth it.

Cons

Leadership always seems to be butting heads. Random weird changes that seemed like they came from people who never worked the floor. Extremely political: often like working with a bunch of high school aged women in middle aged bodies. Backstabbing, passive aggression, all par for the course. An older worker told me if it had been her first job she never would have worked again; the workplace politics got intense. Also if you have scent allergies, at least in my facility, many of the office staff neglected the policy. Frequently short-staffed, which got frustrating when cutbacks started rolling in. Little direction, and a high turnover rate, though it always seemed to be the good ones that quit and the ones that should have been fired just got bogged into red tape and hung on.

Do you just shove things around to look like you are important enough to deserve being payed twice as much as floor workers? It sure seems that way sometimes. At the very least, follow the policies and not wear perfume. Even if you don't work with patients, staff have scent allergies too. We all wish it was mandatory for you to work on the floor a little. Oh, and if you're going to complain about our cell phones, please don't stand in the hallways texting on your working time. I understand why, but be a good example.

88 Other Employee Reviews for Alberta Health Services (View Most Recent)

Contract Coordinator

I worked at Alberta Health Services full-time

Pros

Great Team to Work with and strong coworker relations

Cons

Lack of leadership in management and direction.

Allow your employees to grow

Completely disfunction organization

Former Employee - Project Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Health Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is decently competitive, very excellent benefits for non-union staff, and generally very friendly and kind co-workers.

Cons

HR is a joke. Some people don't get paid for months at a time, the hiring process is awful, and absolutely no attention is given to new hire orientation or set-up. Entire management organization is plagued with people who cannot make a functional decision and who aren't professionally trained in how to run a large corporation. Management IT systems and decision processes are about 20 years out of date. There is a management culture that has no interest in improving things, and many high level staff are severely under skilled in basic computer and organizational skills.

Time to do a major clean-sweep of upper management. There are some good people, but way too many people who are too inexperienced in inept to do the jobs they have. Stop promoting nurses from within to management, and hire some actual, experienced business professionals to run the business side of the organization.

There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Health Services