Alberta Health Services

www.albertahealthservices.ca
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Health Services

Well paid for little amount of work.

Current Contractor - Institutional Worker in Claresholm, AB (Canada)
Current Contractor - Institutional Worker in Claresholm, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Health Services as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, shift differential increases.

Cons

Unionized employees are protected from their wrong-doings.

reviews filtered by
  1. Political. Need I say more?

Current Employee - Environmental Services II
    Current Employee - Environmental Services II

I have been working at Alberta Health Services part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay's about as good as you'll get in small town Alberta, but it's the same in the city as it is in tiny towns with a hospital. For some positions there's the chance of advancement, for most others you need your schooling in order, but raises seemed to come regularly enough. I had opportunities to move up to full and better part time positions. Working the floor? You'll stay in shape. It's solid hard work. I was working in a good team, most of us worked together well and got our work done effectively. Not everyone was so lucky.

The benefits and vacation packages seemed to be good enough.

The best thing for me was that the work was never really boring, it came with surprises and new challenges every day. But that would depend on what kind of position you take too.

It's good work if you love the challenges that come with health care and for all the cons I still recommend it to people with their hearts in the right place, only with the caveat: there are cons, and only you can decide if it's worth it.

Cons

Leadership always seems to be butting heads. Random weird changes that seemed like they came from people who never worked the floor. Extremely political: often like working with a bunch of high school aged women in middle aged bodies. Backstabbing, passive aggression, all par for the course. An older worker told me if it had been her first job she never would have worked again; the workplace politics got intense. Also if you have scent allergies, at least in my facility, many of the office staff neglected the policy. Frequently short-staffed, which got frustrating when cutbacks started rolling in. Little direction, and a high turnover rate, though it always seemed to be the good ones that quit and the ones that should have been fired just got bogged into red tape and hung on.

Advice to Management

Do you just shove things around to look like you are important enough to deserve being payed twice as much as floor workers? It sure seems that way sometimes. At the very least, follow the policies and not wear perfume. Even if you don't work with patients, staff have scent allergies too. We all wish it was mandatory for you to work on the floor a little. Oh, and if you're going to complain about our cell phones, please don't stand in the hallways texting on your working time. I understand why, but be a good example.

2. Contract Coordinator

I worked at Alberta Health Services full-time

Pros

Great Team to Work with and strong coworker relations

Cons

Lack of leadership in management and direction.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to grow

There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Health Services