Alberta Health Services

www.albertahealthservices.ca
There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Health Services

You get out of it; what you put into it

Current Employee - Supervisor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Supervisor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Health Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's big so there are opportunities to move about depending on how dynamic you want your career to be. The pay is reasonable and can be competitive. If you are engaged and take on more responsibility; there is opportunity. If you want to float and do as little as possible, unfortunately, that can happen too.

Cons

Employees have an unreasonable sense of entitlement and the unions are really causing the downfall of the healthcare system. They have gone beyond protecting the worker to harming the financial stability of the employer. Sick time, bereavement leave, breaks, WBC claims, disability claims are all being abused. Everyone complains but no one does anything about it.

Privatize the most costly facets of the organization and negotiate more reasonable collective agreements.

93 Other Employee Reviews for Alberta Health Services (View Most Recent)

Upper Management is more concerned with their bonuses than patients

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Health Services part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The staff providing front line care ( doctors, nurses, health care aides, support staff and most lower level management) are there for the right reasons. Many of these people are putting in hours of unpaid time just to ensure patients are receiving safe care

Cons

Upper management has little to no concern for staff and patients. Nursing jobs are being cut and AHS is planning to lay off several RNs over the next 2 years. Patients are being sent home before they are ready. Staff concerns are dismissed and staff is routinely bullied.

Be honest about what your agenda is. Don't claim that patient care is a priority when you are slashing the numbers of RNs and other health care workers

The experience has been good. (Note: I am in IT) 3.5/5 stars. It was 4.5 until a few months ago.

Current Employee - IT Service Management
    Current Employee - IT Service Management

I have been working at Alberta Health Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work benefits like vacation (4 weeks to start), good all around management - everyone up to director level are quite accessible, even executive treats basic IT people with respect and friendliness (most of the time).

Cons

Upper management from other AHS departments has a tendency to put IT last. Many of them are so focused on the clinical side that they forget about our needs and that if our needs are not met then we cannot support the clinical side.

Non-IT upper management; please start considering IT's needs to be just as important as everyone else's. Without the IT systems your clinical staff are unable to work properly. Please show us some more respect.

IT management; Start sticking up for us against the rest of AHS. Without us their hospitals fall apart.

All AHS management; it is simply wrong that you would accept bonus's while freezing our wages. It is also immoral to lie to us about it. These actions create a culture of distrust.

There are newer employer reviews for Alberta Health Services