Good, Talented People, Flexible Working Environment, Long, Slow Decline, Poor Morale

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Naperville, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are top-notch. Work flexibility is excellent. In the US, telecommuting is supported, often encouraged. Alcatel-Lucent still has its hand in some interesting work.

Cons

Alcatel-Lucent has been in decline for over a decade - beset by a continuing series of project cancellations and pull-backs. As a result, there have been no raises for years and an occasional bonus here or there. Layoffs are a regular occurrence. Therefore, the workforce is below critical mass in many areas and is aging. As a result, employee morale is low.

The same cycle of cutting back on funding and resources across the board to improve the bottom line isn't working. Some hard decisions need to be made regarding what markets we need to stay in and then significant investments need to be made to allow us to be competitive. Also, we tend to be much too late in entering new markets. We need to focus on value-add in those situations instead of taking on the big players head on (when they have such a significant head-start).

Other Reviews for Alcatel-Lucent

Experience at Alcatel-Lucent

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good work and family balance. I work with very knowledgeable and respected people.

Cons

I have not seen a well-thought out strategy for ensuring the company's longevity.

Great people, poorly managed company.

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people to work with. Good team atmosphere. Interesting work, products, technology.

Cons

Management does not know how to navigate through a tough market. European portion of the company is over staffed, top heavy and has most of the decision making power in the company. Europe is dragging down the North American operation.

Let North America operate more independently.

There are newer employer reviews for Alcatel-Lucent.

Worked for Alcatel-Lucent? Contribute to the Community!