Alcoa

Only at Alcoa

Current Employee - Electrician in Alcoa, TN
Current Employee - Electrician in Alcoa, TN

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Great people to work with, a lot of the areas are old North plant was built in 1942 South plant was built in 1909, over the years the plant has upgraded a lot of the facilities.

Cons

The union allows a lot of people with no skills getting jobs are not qualified for, also the union make special deals with other people and ruins the quality of life at the plant. The company allow unqualified people to get certain jobs when their education and skill level is not where it should be. A lot of these people do not have but high school educations and because of seniority they slow the company down to get qualified people.

Do not allow people who are not qualified to stay in their jobs, more accountability to the workforce, the apprenticeship programs should not allow people who come in to keep their seniority they should come in on day one seniority. This will eliminate a lot of people just coming in the jobs to hold them and hold others back.

206 Other Employee Reviews for Alcoa (View Most Recent)

They communicate well but the lack of pay is a problem for all the older employees

Current Employee - Team Lead Assembly Cranberry Twp in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Team Lead Assembly Cranberry Twp in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

The safety of the employees is the number one priority. They communicate work schedules very well. They have a very good benefit package.They respect the work we do overall.

Cons

They recently took our company over (Traco) and they are making salaries for new (temp) employees more than the salaries for the experienced employees that run the products. We work hard building windows and we can't hold alcoa responsible for our previous employers mistakes with the salaries but they are creating a poor work environment by increasing wages to unexperienced employees while not increasing the current employees wages.

We as employees try hard to make our shipments but the current moral over the wages has become a real problem. Employees on the floor with years of experience need to be compensated fairly and recognized for their achievements and knowledge

Alcoa as a company is an insidious dog-eat dog, clannish environment

Current Employee - Operations in Bettendorf, IA
    Current Employee - Operations in Bettendorf, IA

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Upper Management theoreticallly likes to change things.

Cons

Whatever is preached by upper level management goes through hi-tech lynching by the power holders.

Get out the in-breeding for an effective change

There are newer employer reviews for Alcoa