A continuous pride-swallowing Seige

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Alcoa offered me a ridiculous amount of money out of college to work at their Corporate Headquarters which was a beautiful location, very clean with lots of training opportunities.

Cons

Many of the managers are promoted and/or hired in with no competency whatsoever. Men rule the roost while women back-stab each other for the scraps. I saw many talented people get disheartened and leave while many incompetent managers have stayed and prospered. There is no system in place to get rid of the "dummies".

Advice to Management

Go back to what made you great - valuing your people. This was once a great company but you have lost your way and lost a great deal of talented & dedicated people. Act now.

Other Employee Reviews for Alcoa

Only at Alcoa

Current Employee - Electrician in Alcoa, TN
    Current Employee - Electrician in Alcoa, TN

Pros

Great people to work with, a lot of the areas are old North plant was built in 1942 South plant was built in 1909, over the years the plant has upgraded a lot of the facilities.

Cons

The union allows a lot of people with no skills getting jobs are not qualified for, also the union make special deals with other people and ruins the quality of life at the plant. The company allow unqualified people to get certain jobs when their education and skill level is not where it should be. A lot of these people do not have but high school educations and because of seniority they slow the company down to get qualified people.

Advice to Management

Do not allow people who are not qualified to stay in their jobs, more accountability to the workforce, the apprenticeship programs should not allow people who come in to keep their seniority they should come in on day one seniority. This will eliminate a lot of people just coming in the jobs to hold them and hold others back.

They communicate well but the lack of pay is a problem for all the older employees

Current Employee - Team Lead Assembly Cranberry Twp in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Team Lead Assembly Cranberry Twp in Cranberry Twp, PA

Pros

The safety of the employees is the number one priority. They communicate work schedules very well. They have a very good benefit package.They respect the work we do overall.

Cons

They recently took our company over (Traco) and they are making salaries for new (temp) employees more than the salaries for the experienced employees that run the products. We work hard building windows and we can't hold alcoa responsible for our previous employers mistakes with the salaries but they are creating a poor work environment by increasing wages to unexperienced employees while not increasing the current employees wages.

Advice to Management

We as employees try hard to make our shipments but the current moral over the wages has become a real problem. Employees on the floor with years of experience need to be compensated fairly and recognized for their achievements and knowledge