Needs to create a healthy work environment

Current Employee - Inside Sales  in  Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Good salary, decent benefits, the product is excellent and safety is important. You must negotiate for a good salary because the raises are small but the performance bonus can be very good.

Cons

Alcoa is a company that has businesses everywhere so you would think that it would be easy to find another job in another location but the HR department is so poorly structured that to move from one location to another is difficult. HR is only concerns with dealing with grievances and complaints.

At our location there are many from the hourly that have to work twelve hour shifts with mandatory overtime. The salaries are expected to work overtime without compensation. Once you had up those hours your salary does not look so high. It is a good deal for Alcoa who does not need to pay taxes on that free labor.

Our business was reorganized and our sales management team was completely ousted, people who truly understood our business (aerospace forgings) were replaced by people who came in like carpetbaggers from extrusion. There was no transition just high jacking of key positions with fancy announcements.

The headcount is reduced to the lowest possible level for the non-managerial group so it means that issues are slow to be resolved, employees are afraid to lose their jobs and don’t cooperate. It is a culture that breeds back stabbing and knowledge is not share. I would never recommend to people who like a healthy work environment to apply at Alcoa until they make major changes right at the top.

Stop parading interns and quickly promoting them above your older more knowledgeable employee. Instead bring people in to learn the work alongside employees that can mentor them without fear of being replaced as happened in our office in two months. Ease people into retirement so that their knowledge is kept in house and they can train their replacement properly. Also take a look at equal pay for equal work, you are in violation. Your HR department is not doing its job.

Other Reviews for Alcoa

A continuous pride-swallowing Seige

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Alcoa

Pros

Alcoa offered me a ridiculous amount of money out of college to work at their Corporate Headquarters which was a beautiful location, very clean with lots of training opportunities.

Cons

Many of the managers are promoted and/or hired in with no competency whatsoever. Men rule the roost while women back-stab each other for the scraps. I saw many talented people get disheartened and leave while many incompetent managers have stayed and prospered. There is no system in place to get rid of the "dummies".

Go back to what made you great - valuing your people. This was once a great company but you have lost your way and lost a great deal of talented & dedicated people. Act now.

Very political and equivalent to the sixth grade in terms of cliques

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Huge company with lots of locations and business units, excellent name recognition, opportunities to learn if you want to take it upon yourself to do so.

Cons

Extremely political and if you are not one of the group or if someone in the group is threatened by you, your skills and abilities or education level, then look out. You will not have the opportunities to advance as you should.

You go to great lengths to recruit very talented and educated women and then you devalue them and their contributions to the organization...as evidenced by the large numbers of senior level women leaving the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Alcoa.

Worked for Alcoa? Contribute to the Community!