Alcoa

Good senior management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Stable During turmoil
Plant environment good for people enhancement
Good award and recognition plans applied
Safety first is a common practice

Cons

Contingency plans lack of information should be eliminated for better performance at critical times , should improve to balance pressure on workers

232 Other Employee Reviews for Alcoa (View Most Recent)

Exceptional place to work

Current Employee - Compliance in Alcoa, TN
    Current Employee - Compliance in Alcoa, TN

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Offer ambiquity to work at reaching personal and professional goals.

Cons

Slow in Corporate in making decisions.

Move people and embrace the movement with more opportunities for advancement and rewarding by competitive pay for job grades 13 -17.

Needs to create a healthy work environment

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Good salary, decent benefits, the product is excellent and safety is important. You must negotiate for a good salary because the raises are small but the performance bonus can be very good.

Cons

Alcoa is a company that has businesses everywhere so you would think that it would be easy to find another job in another location but the HR department is so poorly structured that to move from one location to another is difficult. HR is only concerns with dealing with grievances and complaints.

At our location there are many from the hourly that have to work twelve hour shifts with mandatory overtime. The salaries are expected to work overtime without compensation. Once you had up those hours your salary does not look so high. It is a good deal for Alcoa who does not need to pay taxes on that free labor.

Our business was reorganized and our sales management team was completely ousted, people who truly understood our business (aerospace forgings) were replaced by people who came in like carpetbaggers from extrusion. There was no transition just high jacking of key positions with fancy announcements.

The headcount is reduced to the lowest possible level for the non-managerial group so it means that issues are slow to be resolved, employees are afraid to lose their jobs and don’t cooperate. It is a culture that breeds back stabbing and knowledge is not share. I would never recommend to people who like a healthy work environment to apply at Alcoa until they make major changes right at the top.

Stop parading interns and quickly promoting them above your older more knowledgeable employee. Instead bring people in to learn the work alongside employees that can mentor them without fear of being replaced as happened in our office in two months. Ease people into retirement so that their knowledge is kept in house and they can train their replacement properly. Also take a look at equal pay for equal work, you are in violation. Your HR department is not doing its job.

There are newer employer reviews for Alcoa