Giant corporate machine

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Paterson, NJ
Former Employee - Engineer in Paterson, NJ

I worked at Alcoa full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits were exceptional, and the compensation was fair. Depending on which specific plant or division you worked in your experience with that plants management could vary wildly.

Cons

Individual success was not cultivated or well recognized. Annual bonus's (very meager for most, mine was UP TO %5 salary), were usually applied on a group basis and did not even feel merit based.

Every plant is different. Mine had bad managers that needed to improve their processes to include accountability and reward success. Others I visited/worked at I couldn't comment on.

Other Reviews for Alcoa

Would not recommend

Former Employee - Engineer  in  LaPorte, IN
    Former Employee - Engineer in LaPorte, IN

I worked at Alcoa full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is nothing positive to share about the LaPorte IN facility

Cons

Worked at the La Porte location for quite a few years. It used to be a good place to work, not any longer. I watched it go from good to very bad. I can only feel sorry for the employees still there. Jobs are hard to find these days so they don't have much of a choice. Terrible upper management. HR does not care about or help anyone "don't let the door..." Managers only care about numbers and nothing else. They are cruel to the employees, supervisors and engineers; in other words they treat them awful, intimidation, retaliation, belittling, chauvinism etc., It's sad to have worked at and watched such a great company with such happy employees turn into such an awful place. Another company that brings in new management that tears the heart and soul out of the employees.

Strong focus on safety, quality, technology, and operational excellence

Former Employee - Metallurgical Engineer  in  Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Metallurgical Engineer in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Alcoa full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Large company with strong focus on safety, quality, technology, and operational excellence. Ideal opportunities for metallurgical and materials engineers in process, manufacturing, quality, and commercial roles.

Cons

Individuals may be overwelmed by company and local management politics. Public company focused heavily on quarterly and annual financial goals that drives some short term decisions.

There are newer employer reviews for Alcoa.

Worked for Alcoa? Contribute to the Community!