There are newer employer reviews for Alcoa

So happy I left

I worked at Alcoa full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary and benefits, some great hourly employees that really care.

Cons

Many management employees do absolutely nothing and still keep their jobs. Long term employees are like dinosaurs, they refuse to give up their ways and accept change.
There is no teamwork or compromise, even though they preach it every day.
When you try to discuss it with your supervisor you get the run around and are told to "be patient it will get better." I doesn't and it never will.

One of the biggest problems is managements failure to recognize and reward hourly employees that go above and beyond. They are experts at taking exceptional employees and turning them into disgruntled mediocre workers.

Practice what you preach.

181 Other Employee Reviews for Alcoa (View Most Recent)

"You can't leap frog in your career"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Alcoa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Product offering is vast and so are the type of jobs. You can almost always find a job that will meet your interests. Additionally, they always give internal candidates a fair shot at a position.

Cons

Don't fall to the impression that you can enter the company, continue your education and then make leaps and bounds in your career and expect salary to follow suit. Development is stifled although encouraged. Advancement is slow if you stay in one location. Expect to move, change business units if necessary, and to make small incremental changes in responsibility and pay to move yourself forward in your career.

Pay people what they are worth even if their credentials are built after being hired. You are forcing young talent to leave when you don't provide tuition assistance (despite the company being profitable as a whole even if the business unit they are attached to is not) and then refuse to compensate them or evaluate them when applying for positions as if they were external candidates. When your competition is willing to pay for the talent that you so easily cast aside and question their level of responsibility you leave your employees no other choice but to seek employment elsewhere where they will be compensated for their level of education and years of experience.

So Happy I Left!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Alcoa full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are open to itt -- and part of the favored "in-crowd", there are numerous opportunities throughout the US and abroad. Some groups have

Cons

Long hours, emotionally abusive environment, the harder you work the more work is piled on top of you -- particularly frustrating when other co-workers get to slide by without pulling their weight. I was completely miserable working there, but did not realize how bad it was until I left and joined a normal company with supportive & encouraging management. So much work is done to satisfy ridiculous and overly-convoluted internal procedures & policies - maddening and insane, especially when wise co-workers flee the sinking ship and the remaining suckers are left with even more work to do, because open positions are never filled (as it might detract from the lucrative incentive compensation paid to upper level managers and executives!) Disappointing favoritism, crazy politics....it's just not a nice place to be. So happy I left!

Get new management. Everything needs to be fixed. Rude, unethical conceited management hired people exactly like themselves and now the entire company is infested...Alcoa was a much better place to be just a short 5 years ago. Sad I was there to see the demise.

There are newer employer reviews for Alcoa

Worked for Alcoa? Contribute to the Community!