Disorganized but fun

I have been working at Alere

Pros

Dynamic environment, solid product lines, great colleagues. Overall a very fun and rewarding experience. Salaries were competitive if you negotiated well.

Cons

Management changed priorities and org chart frequently, after every acquisition. Lots of politics and favoritism, but no more than other places.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good and Growing Company

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Alere full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Senior Leadership Good Salary and Benefits (add more options in 401(k)) Commitment to Quality is not just skin deep As a clarification: Alere is a global conglomerate and has acquired many dozens of companies . Reviewers have worked in subsidiaries with different levels of managers and different businesses. There are some Alere companies that are all R&D and staffed with doctors and there are others that are essentially call centers staffed by high school dropouts. Most people never met the CEO so the CEO ranking is very muddled - easy to blame someone you have never met, isn't it?

Cons

HR is widely perceived as having a "hire and fire" mentality at the direct Patient Care staffing level. HR is not trusted by managers. This "con" is directed to co-workers. A lot of people here on Glassdoor seem to think a high school diploma or a junior college degree entitle them to a rapid career path. Reality check: unless you go to college or graduate school, do not expect a company like Alere (which requires people with high levels of technical expertise to meet government regulations) to provide you with those sorts of opportunities without more training on your part.

Advice to Management

Direct Patient Care staff (whether homeworkers or at a company location) are monitored and new hires should be more fully informed ahead of time about this feature of quality control that is due to the company being regulated by healthcare laws. People here on Glassdoor seem surprised to only find this out after hire. HR staff should be retrained so they stop supporting the bypassing of managers to solve basic supervision issues. HR should push these sorts of issues back to the org chart structure for resolution instead of believing that they have any merit simply because HR is told about it. My managerial colleagues do not trust HR to support our efforts to intervene with people who are immature and inexperienced. In other words, whenever HR supports inexperienced people's interpretations of managerial intentions, as if those young people's interpretations are items of fact, they are undermining our efforts to bring positive change to some preexisting negative situations. Fix it or you will lose great managers. None of us in my SBU are sadists or jerks and we deserve a professional level of support.

2. THis is a place where work and life are balanced.

I have been working at Alere (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company offers a good work/life balance. Also values employee health as well as makes good contributions to good causes.

Cons

Lack of communication at times.

Advice to Management

NA