Alere
www.alere.com Waltham, MA 5000+ Employees

Low pay for credentials, stressful work environment, lack luster management

Registered Dietitian (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

ProsBeing able to work from home is nice; and partially tax deductible. If you like waking up early or going out late you will like this company. You're typically busy so you're not often bored. Medication benefits are good.

ConsIf you're an R.D. don't expect to have any wiggle room for clinical judgment. In this job you must "counsel" and complete calls in a very specific manner regardless of disease state, emotional state, etc...In my opinion this leads to a very low quality of care for the participants. You could be doing so much more with your degree anywhere else, believe me. Shifts start very early or end very late. Expect to work weekends consistently at least for the first year of your job here. Little to no support from management due to lack of education on what we typically do as R.D.'s. You will be extremely busy. Unlike the rest of our profession you will be evaluated every 2 weeks so make sure you're on top of your counseling game; if you have one off day or off participant it will show, you will be judged, and your evaluations will likely not improve as expected from that point on. No room for growth within the company as an R.D., you will always be paid hourly. No reimbursement for credentials or CEU's. Be aware that the rest of the company outside of service delivery or your team will have no idea what you do and why you are with the company. Our side of company is rarely recognized because the company's real "money maker" is tobacco cessation. Expect to always fall short of projected goals in our department; not to your own doing, but the goals set by the company are far too high to ever be achieved. You will rarely get a bonus due to this.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide realistic opportunities for R.D.'s as far as career advancement and reimburse for the credentials and continuing education credits that are "selling" your product/service and providing you with stability to your programs.

Very Poor/Negative/Critical Work Environment

(Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

I have been working at Alere full-time

Pros: Great counselors/coworkers who try so hard to succeed and endeavor to… Cons: Counselors are micromanaged and nit-picked with a high level of abstract, confusing criticism. There is a high turn over of staff and this is… Advice to Senior Management: This heavy handed pushy mgmt style has proven itself to be demoralizing to their employees and yet it never changes. The… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

My experience at Alere has been limited but pretty laid back.

QA Analyst (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Alere full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: The pay is average. The culture is pretty laid… Cons: Benefits aren't that good. Don't encourage growth. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Alere.

Worked for Alere? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alere reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alere CEO Ron Zwanziger. All reviews posted anonymously by Alere employees.