There are newer employer reviews for Alexander Open Systems

Great place to work, but you have to be aggressive

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Overland Park, KS
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems

Pros

They spend a lot of money on training employees, it's a great place for professional growth and development. Office is nice, although most engineers will spend their time at customer sites. People working there are very friendly and engaging. Management has a take no prisoners attitude when it comes to growing the business and they recognize employees who contribute to that.

Cons

You have to be really aggressive to get what you need. Your first week if you need something, you better ask for it otherwise you'll get left behind. They're too busy to train, so you get thrown in the fire from the start and you'd better know your stuff.

Slow down just a second to make sure all your employees are prepared before going out on customer jobs. Better documentation of back end processes would be helpful for those just starting out. Other then that, keep dominating.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Alexander Open Systems (View Most Recent)

looking to expand

Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Alexander Open Systems

Pros

very aggressive company looking to expand

Cons

not a full structure. very aggressive and focused on sales.

implement some real marketing that has a ROI attachment.

Good start, but soured

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time

Pros

The company is a good place to learn and stay sharp on multiple technologies. The strong partnerships with Cisco and EMC give the engineers the opportunity to work with many of their products. And the engineers that work with these products are sharp and talented.

Cons

The turnover rate in management and sales positions make it difficult to keep an upbeat attitude about how the office is doing. One of the reasons that I took the job initially was that I really liked the management that interviewed me, but they weren't in their positions very long. I had a new boss about every 12 months and never felt that any of them were very effective. As for the turnover in sales, most of the engineers have decided not to introduce themselves to new sales staff, because they won't be there in 6 months. Communication about new hires or terminations were rare, so you don't know who actually works there.

Engineers tend to be grumpy about being overworked and the lack of representation within management. Historically, the engineers that want to get into management cannot, unless they are located in Kansas City. And on most occasions the manager of the engineers is filled by a person previously in a sales oriented role that was not making their number, but has been loyal to management during their tenure. Since the manager over the engineers handles both sales engineers and implementation engineers, this sales background tends to feed speculation that the manager only looks out for the sales engineers before all else. And there are some actions that back this up.

When people leave AOS it is standard for the company to harass the former employee about their broadly written non-compete. This, I believe, is why many engineers end up staying with the company. If engineers want to stay in the same career path, they will have to settle with AOS and find an employer that is willing to take this risk. On multiple occasions after an employee left, management had said that "so and so" was going after AOS clients. I believed them when I was there, but then it was reported that the same was being done when I left. However, I recused myself from any account AOS had. I don't know what to believe about previous accusations.

It is a shame that this is the way I felt when I left AOS. I had a great time for the first half of my AOS career and I saw myself sticking around for as long as they would have me, but things started to sour after multiple management changes. Nothing ever felt like it was getting any better, and I continued to see good people leave. I finally decided it was time for me to leave, too.

Invest in management training and let the managers follow what they learn. It seems that most management is just being rewarded for loyalty, and could benefit from classes or seminars.

Invest in the engineers happiness and not just their pocketbook. The engineers I know would like to feel that action is being taken when they voice their opinion. But what they see happening is it getting written down in a book and staying their without further thought.

There are newer employer reviews for Alexander Open Systems