Former Employee in Overland Park, KS

Former Employee - Account Manager in Overland Park, KS
Former Employee - Account Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AOS is built on the idea of Expect of the Best. Having a team of people getting business done with that motto is a great thing. Once someone knows that I used to work for AOS they always ask what I think of Gary. I reply back with 50% / 50%. 50% respects Gary for what he has created. Gary is very insightful in the assessment of people. The other 50% dislikes Gary for his management style.

Cons

Unfortunately folks. The Cons outweigh working for this place. There is an extreme amount of turnover in the sales personnel that work at AOS. The core group (Gary’s Sons, Grandchildren, and Loyalists) have remained the same but it’s the sales staff and sales engineers that consisting turnover. It’s always interesting to meet people that just started and they say it’s great but a year later when they longer work there it’s a different story.

Middle Managers don’t really have a clue because they are merely following orders from Gary. Even if you are over performing you will still feel pressure that you could lose your job at any second. Gary would sit in board meetings and tell stories of firing people and be proud of that fact that he did it. Gary expected me to have an immediate answer to whether or not I could attend training in Boston the night before. I told him I would like to discuss it with my wife and he responded that he didn’t have to talk to his wife to make a decision.

Advice to Management

Everyone knows that if Gary sells the company his sons can not be in management positions. So why are they in those positions now?

reviews filtered by

Great Presales Resources, Sell Great Products - Fail in Markets due to Lack of Leadreship

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay well
    Great Presales Resources
    Represent very good products

Cons

Lack of leadreship at Branch Offices and HQ
    Family owned and run Business - If your last name isn't Alexander you have a lack of advancement
    Company run on emotions
    High turnover
    Not loyal to people

Advice to Management

The company would thrive much better if it was sold to a top competitor. Old School Management and hand me down to family focus will hurt this company. Need to fire all the branch office Presidents and Region President as they add no value.

2. Fast Paced

Former Employee - Account Manager in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Fenton, MO

I worked at Alexander Open Systems

Pros

Great technical support pre and post sales.

Cons

Too much focus on one vendor who does not do anything for AOS.