Alion

www.alionscience.com
  www.alionscience.com
There are newer employer reviews for Alion

Easy going but no real chance for advancement

Current Employee - Marine Engineer in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Marine Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management is pretty flexible with hours with respect to work load. They don't really micromanage. Good benefits and continuing education assistance. Government work is pretty flexible so the work load is never overwhelming.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. When someone gets to the point that they would be up for a raise, they will not give it or they will make a simply insulting offer. This has caused 3 of my fellow engineers to leave for other positions. Then they interviewed and hired engineers straight out of college who they could pay less.

Keep the employees that you have and show more loyalty and appreciation of what they do.

103 Other Employee Reviews for Alion (View Most Recent)

Be aware of their financial situation

Former Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Alion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, ESOP, first level managers believe in keeping their customers satisfied, flexible work schedule, multiple work locations, can work remotely depending on customer.

Cons

Financial situation (read the 10K report), extreme concerns about billings to the extent that if you do agree 100% with the executive concerns you are out no matter how much book of business you can bring in, constant worries about cash flow, executive management seems only interested in pleasing outside bankers.

Be honest with your employees.

Working for Alion was a terrible experience.

Former Employee - Military Analyst in Shaw AFB, SC
    Former Employee - Military Analyst in Shaw AFB, SC

I worked at Alion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job. The pay was ok.

Cons

HR does not care about you. Discrimination and harassment are rampant, as are illegal and unethical behaviors. When I brought up some of these issues up with senior management and HR, I was met with a warning and told to never complain again "or else". Management would sit around all day and balance their checkbooks and watch TV, with no idea what the worker bees did. Most of them did not have actual government jobs. They had job titles, but no responsibilites. I often worked over 130 hours in an 80 hour pay period, and was never compensated for it. Sometimes, I was even asked to lie about the time on my timecard, to supposedly not charge too much and hurt future contract negotiations. There was no potential for career or salary growth, unless you want to move into management. I will not be surprised if I see Alion get in serious trouble for illegal behavior and ethics violations. Work hours were not flexible. My customer said I could take leave for a day or two after putting in 115 hours in one week, but Alion management would not allow it - without basis. They were inflexible with taking leave for vacation or for doctor's appointments. They seemed to think that you are scamming them. We did not get much leave to begin with...only 10 days leave per year - that includes both sick leave and annual leave.

Upper management needs to be completely re-vamped with how dysfunctional it is at this point. Management does not value its employees, nor shows interest in satisfying the needs of the customer that is footing the bill.

There are newer employer reviews for Alion