There are newer employer reviews for Alion

good benefits, lousy business model

I worked at Alion (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and sometimes a relaxed culture. nice people...but no oversight from management, very removed from day-to-day operations. all is good if you have a long-term contract in place.

Cons

disorganized, no training opportunities, lack of structure, hiring is odd...never looking for people who can actually do the job, just people who have backgrounds that will look good on proposals. every dollar spent is direct charge...you will never be on overhead or able to do business development.

99 Other Employee Reviews for Alion (View Most Recent)

An average company with not many career advancing opportunities

Current Employee - Web Developer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A pay is fair/good (though, not great). Health Insurance is really good.

Cons

Company has poor people managers and there is much favoritism/nepotism. Good work rarely equal to promotion or career advancement. Finance of this company is not very good. Have to wonder how much longer it will stay afloat.

1) Learn to motivate your employees
    2) Stop the favoritism/nepotism (it's really not motivating)
    3) Certain employees just don't peform (surf/talk all day)...why are they still employed by you!

Room for improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Health insurance is the best I have had in a long time.

Cons

When interviewed and first hired you get the feeling the company cares about you and your growth potential. You are also told you are able to work from home when necessary. After being with the company for 8 months I am seeing the real Alion. My supervisor sets out standards for us to follow, yet does not follow them himself. He and other supervisors seem more concerned with money being spent rather than the quality of work being done for the customer.

There is little room for upward growth within my business unit and I suspect the majority of the company. In my short time with the company seven people have let my group. That is a high attrition rate and it doesn't seem to surprise anyone or cause concern with upper management.

PTO is less than other companies in this industry. You leave is combined into one leave bank vice sick and vacation. If you are a single parent, it is easy to burn through your leave with illness and doctor's appointments.

It would be nice to have a voice in the company as an employee owner.

There are newer employer reviews for Alion