Alion

There are newer employer reviews for Alion

Al Borkes, Former employee

Former Contractor - Mechanical Engineer
Former Contractor - Mechanical Engineer

I worked at Alion as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They go as far as they can to provide the best conditions of employment and tell upfront what to expect from the particular employment situation

Cons

Perhaps due to the size of the company and complexity of their services, management feels far and detached, especially when working in remote locations

Devise some way of connecting with remote employees so they feel more part of the team

114 Other Employee Reviews for Alion (View Most Recent)

Good coworkers and work experience, poor management

I worked at Alion

Pros

My location had great coworkers, and the work was interesting. Had the chance to expand my technical capabilities. Benefits were decent. Salary and raises were good.

Cons

- Poor financial condition. Hasn't reported a profit since 2002. Average loss of $28M from 2003 to date. Large acquisitions that didn't pan out have led to high debt with high interest rates. May not be able to refinance bonds that are coming due.
    - Upper management receives large bonuses despite poor performance.
    - All 401k matching is in company stock. The stock was at a high of $43 in March 07, and just dropped from $16 in March 2013 to $8 in Sept 2013. Company matching can't be accessed until 5 years after leaving the company, at which time it can be withdrawn over the following 5 years.
    - Benefits are being reduced.
    - Poor communication of the company's condition and plan to try to recover.

Focus on growing organically and not the size of the company. Analyze why certain acquisitions didn't work out (e.g., Anteon). Realize that workers can't simply be replaced - many customers are awarding tasks to individuals, not the company name. Don't just file the exit interviews, actually read what the people are saying. Communicate what is going on. People are aware of the financial problems, but no one seems to address them.

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Generally positive people
    -Technical staff know what they're doing and are competent in their field

Cons

-The company declined to pay me for 10 hours of overtime worked when I was asked to work 40 hours of overtime in one pay period.
    -Overtime is straight time, not time and a half.
    -The company asked me to be involved in a competitor's lawsuit instead of issuing a blanket statement.
    -The company is refinancing.
    -They expect you to invest in company stock, but it has gown down to under $10.
    -They do not pay for tools to access the Internet at client site, and they remove VPN access if not active after a certain time.

Do not tell people they will be getting time and a half when they won't.

There are newer employer reviews for Alion