There are newer employer reviews for Alion

Alion work environment

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion

Pros

Alion is involved in a variety of technical consulting opportunities, mostly in the defense industries. It grew rapidly by acquisition, and has a large set of services for the Navy and other government agencies. As with most consulting companies, the management is hierarchical, but has some employee owned features. The company is typically organized in relation to projects associated with longer-term government contracts. As a technical consultant there may be limited opportunities to rise in the management hierarchy. But technical consulting competence and relationships with clients is well recognized. There is a good esprit de corps among the consultants and a good deal of attention to employee welfare. Alion does emphasize skills development and pays for educational opportunities and development that may enhance technical and managerial skills.

Cons

The company is highly distributed in relation to its different locations and projects. There is relatively little communication across managerial divisions in relation to the ordinary levels of consulting support. Because of its rapid growth and related expensive acquisitions, line is under some financial pressure to meet predicted revenue and profit targets. Possible constraints on defense industry growth amay have effects on Alion's growth, hiring, and promotional opportunities.

There seems to be little strategic analysis of the existing competencies, which can and need to be leveraged across divisions. While the emphasis on business development in terms of contract wins is important, the future of any consulting organization depends upon developing and leveraging specialized skills and capabilities that differentiate it from the competition. Alion needs to do more in terms of identifying these existing high-value competencies, and growing these capabilities in terms of skills development and hiring strategies.

95 Other Employee Reviews for Alion (View Most Recent)

In my opinion, not a positive environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Alion

Pros

Company allows workers to telecommute for part of their work week, with manager approval (although I am not sure if this is still available).

Cons

I didn't feel that it was a very respectful, positive environment. And, as far as my type of work, I felt like I went back in time, that they were not on the cutting edge. Also, I didn't feel that they had very good benefits.

You need to emphasize fairness and respect. Also, it's 2010! When I worked there I felt like I was in a 20-year time warp as far as practices and procedures.

Depending on the group, the experience could be great...or horrible. Compensation is AWFUL

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion

Pros

I work in a great group. This is my 3rd group in the company and it has been the best experience. I thoroughly enjoy my position, I work on a great team with exceptional leadership. My current group is very knowledgeable and always willing to assist. This company has been great about educational advancement.

Cons

I worked with two groups that were not that great. Those groups were led by poor management, and the team was not strong. Morale was very low and the work was not interesting, also it was very difficult to get management to place qualified people on their desired teams or projects. There was no consideration given to personal growth, only the needs of management. I have a friend who has a finance background but has been passed over for 3 finance positions to maintain a position that she hates in operations.

My biggest gripe however is the compensation. Essentially, this company simply does not pay adequately.

Some management is great at this company. The leadership is outstanding in my current group and I thoroughly enjoy my work, my customer and my team. There are some people in other management positions however that have very poor leadership skills, they are under utilizing highly qualified people. For instance I have two masters degrees and was essentially handling administrative tasks. I transferred groups and I am now handling a $1.6 billion contract working on SCN funding for my customer. My customer and manager are VERY pleased with my progress and have even allowed me to train new members to our team. My advice is value your employees, listen to them and make them want to stay with Alion. In my short time with the company (3 Years) I have seen a very high turnover rate, and I understand why.

There are newer employer reviews for Alion

Worked for Alion? Contribute to the Community!