Alion

www.alionscience.com

Alion work environment

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAlion is involved in a variety of technical consulting opportunities, mostly in the defense industries. It grew rapidly by acquisition, and has a large set of services for the Navy and other government agencies. As with most consulting companies, the management is hierarchical, but has some employee owned features. The company is typically organized in relation to projects associated with longer-term government contracts. As a technical consultant there may be limited opportunities to rise in the management hierarchy. But technical consulting competence and relationships with clients is well recognized. There is a good esprit de corps among the consultants and a good deal of attention to employee welfare. Alion does emphasize skills development and pays for educational opportunities and development that may enhance technical and managerial skills.

ConsThe company is highly distributed in relation to its different locations and projects. There is relatively little communication across managerial divisions in relation to the ordinary levels of consulting support. Because of its rapid growth and related expensive acquisitions, line is under some financial pressure to meet predicted revenue and profit targets. Possible constraints on defense industry growth amay have effects on Alion's growth, hiring, and promotional opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere seems to be little strategic analysis of the existing competencies, which can and need to be leveraged across divisions. While the emphasis on business development in terms of contract wins is important, the future of any consulting organization depends upon developing and leveraging specialized skills and capabilities that differentiate it from the competition. Alion needs to do more in terms of identifying these existing high-value competencies, and growing these capabilities in terms of skills development and hiring strategies.

In my opinion, not a positive environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at Alion

Pros: Company allows workers to telecommute for part of their work week, with… Cons: I didn't feel that it was a very respectful, positive environment. And, as far as my type of work, I felt like… Advice to Senior Management: You need to emphasize fairness and respect. Also, it's 2010! When I worked there I… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Depending on the group, the experience could be great...or horrible. Compensation is AWFUL

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion

Pros: I work in a great group. This is my 3rd group in the company and it has been the best experience. I thoroughly enjoy my… Cons: I worked with two groups that were not that great. Those groups were led by poor management, and the team was not strong. Morale was… Advice to Senior Management: Some management is great at this company. The leadership is outstanding in my current group and I thoroughly enjoy my work, my customer and my… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Alion.

Worked for Alion? Contribute to the Community!