There are newer employer reviews for Allergan

As a mid-cap pharma company, it's an excellent launching pad into the industry

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

Flexibility, conservative casual dress albeit slightly more "business" than other company HQs in southern California. Pay, on average, is slightly less, though many positions will provide you with a broader range of experiences across different areas than large pharma, weather, clean and beautiful campus

Cons

Less exposure to the more expensive consulting firms, less services and benefits than large pharma, company gym

reviews filtered by
  1. Allergan has helped me lay the groundwork for my career

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

Working at Allergan has many pros such as good healthcare insurance, nice Irvine campus, employee benefits such as discounted products.

Cons

A couple of downsides to working for any big company is the difficulty of getting promoted within the company. It is very hard to climb up the ladder.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have more visibility to upper management and their decisions that may affect employees such as cutting down on healthcare benefits.

Mediocre at best

Current Employee - Scientist in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

The best part of working at Allergan were my coworkers. Overall the staff was friendly and fun.

Cons

Senior management believed in a "matrix" structure which basically meant they could be lazy in designing the reporting structure. Employees would report to one manager but be working on projects for a different manager. As a lower level manager this made it much more difficult to delegate projects because I had to constantly negotiate for each employee's time. This structure caused significant friction between lower level management. This was worsened by the fact that upper management in the research division refused to assign project leaders which led to infighting and backstabbing. Rapid turnover in HR did not help matters.

Advice to Management

Providing no structure is just as bad for team productivity and moral as micromanagement. Failure to do so will drive good employees away.