Great company culture

Current Intern - Research Intern in Irvine, CA
Current Intern - Research Intern in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

big company means lots of perks. lots of nice people. lots of outdoor space.

Cons

seemed very competitive with lots of scheming and secrets between different research groups.

Other Employee Reviews for Allergan

When you join Allergan you roll the dice

Current Employee - Professional in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Professional in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall Allergan is a great company. The top brass knows what they are doing and they do it well. The future of the company is bright and if you get into a well run department you are set. In the history of the company they have only done layoffs a few (less than 5?) times and they have been very minor. Benefits are excellent. Allergan is a big name that looks great on a resume and that means you will get to work with some really bright people. You will probably be involved in some way on a drug or other product that is a big deal, because the company only bothers with things that are a big deal. It is a great experience to have.

Cons

The thing about Allergan is the quality of middle management, directors and VPs varies greatly between departments. That's why I say you roll the dice. Its hard to tell in the interview what kind of department you will be in. I have seen leaders that demonstrated truly shocking levels of incompetence. I'm talking incompetence on the scale of our government's handling of hurricane Katrina. The kind of incompetence that makes new employees, frustrated with what they see going on, ask "Who is in charge around here???" Leaders having no idea that something is wrong, what that thing that's going wrong is, what a functioning organization looks like or what is needed to to get there. Utter cluelessness and a complete lack of awareness. Then again your department might be wonderful. Its tough to tell.

Advice to Management

If you see a department that continually has problems, can't meet deadlines, and gets low scores on surveys you might want to do some digging.

Good solid company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, talented individuals, dynamic company

Cons

Not as many opportunities for growth